small medium large xlarge

Photo_112_pragsmall
01 Nov 2011, 12:41
Jeremy Hinegardner (6 posts)

In chapter 6, Make Configuration Easy you talk about external configurations, and only for user level configuration thing. How about the case for servers, or more complex systems that are command line driven that should have something in /etc/ or other location that is not user specific.

This is also something I haven’t settled on myself, what is the proper location for system configuration files for gems. Use /etc or RbConfig::CONFIG[‘sysconfdir’] or something based off of RbConfig::CONFIG[‘localstatedir’] and the application name, and the like. I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Dmfcb_pragsmall
31 Oct 2011, 21:35
David Copeland (487 posts)

[ Accidentally flagged this post; sorry, didn’t mean to ]

I suppose you could apply the same principles, and cascade back to @/etc@ or something, much like how, say, MySQL does. I’ll look into it, but there’s not a lot of documentation about RBConfig that I can find.

Photo_112_pragsmall
31 Oct 2011, 22:35
Jeremy Hinegardner (6 posts)

I wasn’t necessarily saying you should use RbConfig. I’d be mostly interested in a section talking about system level configuration and locations where that should be stored. Even if it was just to pull some things from the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard for Unix/BSDs and where they should go on Windows. Completely my opinion, so feel free to ignore it. I was just thinking that if you are going to talk about configuration, and have user level options and command line overrides and such, its probably worth discussing system level things config too.

I haven’t seen a lot of best practices written on how to setup a system so it has a robust cascading configuration, so I’d love to know more and see how what I’m doing right now matches up with what others are doing.

Dmfcb_pragsmall
02 Nov 2011, 01:08
David Copeland (487 posts)

This is a good topic. I’ll do some research and see if I can come up with something…

You must be logged in to comment