Nathan, I am guessing you don’t need this information anymore. But I hope this helps someone else.
I checked my hbase log files and noticed that hbase wasn’t able to connect to the localhost on the IP 127.0.0.1. This was what was causing the problem.
I have had this problem occur when using Ubuntu. In the /etc/hosts file in Ubuntu, the IP 127.0.1.1 is mapped to the localhost and the machine name.
However, Hbase expects the IP 127.0.0.1 to be mapped to the localhost and the machine name.
On my computer, I had the following lines in /etc/hosts
I modified this file to look like this:
I restarted hbase after this change and the problem was solved.