small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
20 Nov 2007, 12:54
Keyton Weissinger (1 post)

OK. So I’m a noob in both Rails and Ruby – but I’m trying to migrate and approach the code from a Ruby perspective.

As such, in the Instant Gratification Fun Time section, I tried the following (to do a bit better in the “looks like Ruby” category than the example):

<% if @files %>
	<h1>Files or Directories 2</h1>
	<ul>
	  <%= @files.each {|file|}%>
	</ul>
	<% end %>

OK. No problem. That works. I get (or similar) in the resulting HTML: Files or Directories 2 appcomponentsconfigdbdocliblogpublicRakefileREADMEscripttesttmpvendor

But if I want to add a little markup:

<% if @files %>
	<ul>
	  <%= @files.each {|file| puts '<li>'+file+'</li><br/>'}%>
	</ul>
	<% end %>

I get the exact same thing in my resulting HTML page (i.e. no markup): Files or Directories 2 appcomponentsconfigdbdocliblogpublicRakefileREADMEscripttesttmpvendor

I’ve tried it in IRb to make sure the Ruby itself acts the way I think it should (and to make sure I wasn’t making a stupid Ruby mistake). But that worked fine.

What up?

Thanks in advance.

Keyton Weissinger

Generic-user-small
05 Jan 2008, 02:10
Don Bessinger (8 posts)

I’m in the same boat you are as far as learning both Ruby and Rails, and I played around with the same things to make nicer formats. It looks like you’ve tried to include HTML tags within the <% … %> brackets. Ruby expects everything in there to be Ruby code, so try moving the HTML tags out. Something like this may work:

<% if @files %>
  <ul>
    <li><%= @files.each {|file| puts file} %></li><br/>
  </ul>
<% end %>

That’s untested, but you get the idea - keep that Ruby and HTML separate.

Social-sq_pragsmall
05 Jan 2008, 03:57
Timothy Knight (5 posts)

Well, if we are talking Rails, why not use the content_tag helper here? Remember each item needs to be surrounded by an (li) and there is no need for a (br) after each item. Perhaps there is a one line way of doing this, but doing a block works just fine for me.

<% unless @files.nil? %>
	<h1>Files or Directories 3</h1>
	  <ul>
			<% @files.each do |file| %>
				<%= content_tag :li, file %>
			<% end %>
	  </ul>
<% end %>
Generic-user-small
02 May 2008, 23:09
Fredrik W (3 posts)

I think you’re getting the error because you’re using the “puts” method inside of a view template.

<% @files.each do |file| %> <%= ‘<li>‘+file+’</li>’ %> <% end %>

should probably work, even if the latter solution proposed by timothy is more elegant.

http://railscasts.com/episodes/40 might interest you as well. It discusses how you can refactor blocks into helper methods that accepts blocks and how to go about with that.

You must be logged in to comment