small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  tmux
Mark1_pragsmall
27 Oct 2012, 17:40
R. Mark Volkmann (13 posts)

What are the 16 color names that tmux supports? I know red, green, blue and cyan are four of them and I know I can use colour0 thourgh colour255.

Mark1_pragsmall
28 Oct 2012, 13:40
R. Mark Volkmann (13 posts)

After more googling I now know eight of the 16 colors. They are black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan and white. Are there eight more color names that tmux recognizes?

Generic-user-small
30 Oct 2012, 18:28
Adrian Luff (5 posts)

Generally the 16 colors mentioned are 8 base colors and 8 bright variants.

From the tmux man page: message-bg colour Set status line message background colour, where colour is one of: black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white, aixterm bright variants (if supported: brightred, brightgreen, and so on), colour0 to colour255 from the 256-colour set, default, or a hexadecimal RGB string such as `#ffffff’, which chooses the closest match from the default 256-colour set.

Depending on the terminal software you use you may be able to redefine these arbitrarily. That is to say, when the terminal calls for “red” (really color #1) you configure your terminal to show orange. I do this with the Solarized color scheme ( http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized ) and Mac Terminal.

You must be logged in to comment