small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
18 May 2013, 14:44
Robert Shibao (1 post)

Page 16. For opening the javascript console, option-command-j, you might consider changing the keystroke for the mac to “option” instead of using the symbol. My newer mac keyboard dropped the symbol for the option key and now labels it “alt” and “option.” The command key is still labeled with symbol.

Chris_strom_headshot_200_pragsmall
18 May 2013, 23:46
Chris Strom (229 posts)

Thanks! That seems like a no-brainer. I’ve updated it in the source.

Generic-user-small
17 Aug 2016, 12:34
Carol Shreve (3 posts)

Hi Chris. We are running the program on a Mac with Safari 9.1.2. The Command+option+J is not opening the JavaScript console. I did try refreshing the screen with Command+R. Still no response to the Command+option+J input.

17 Aug 2016, 13:04
Chris Strom (229 posts)

Hi Carol!

The book requires Google Chrome, not Safari.

Most (probably all) of the exercises will work in Safari, but we found it best to only write the book for Chrome. It makes it easier to describe to kids how to set things up and how to troubleshoot with the JavaScript console.

It’s a free (and safe) download if you don’t already have it installed. If you need help copying a large number of ICE projects from Safari to Chrome, I can help with that.

-Chris

Generic-user-small
17 Aug 2016, 16:58
Carol Shreve (3 posts)

I’ve downloaded and installed Google Chrome. I could definitely use help finding and moving his project files.

17 Aug 2016, 17:51
Chris Strom (229 posts)

To move projects between browsers, you will use the beta of the upcoming version of ICE. It has a new import / export feature which is built for just this kind of thing! In your case, you’ll export from Safari and import into Chrome – using ICE beta in both cases.

This is well-tested and should be fine. That said, if there are any super important projects that have been created, it can’t hurt to copy and paste them into a Word document :) Don’t worry about code from the book. You can always get that from the back of the book or by downloading it from the book’s web page.

The exact steps are:

1. In Safari, go to http://gamingjs.com/ice-beta.
  2. Double-check that you still see the projects that were created with the current ICE.
  3. Click the menu button, then Export. That should download a file named “Export.txt”.
  4. Open Chrome and go to http://gamingjs.com/ice-beta.
  5. Click the menu button, then Import.
  6. In the file dialog that opens, choose the file from step 3 (it’ll be in your Downloads folder).

That should do it. You should have all of the projects from Safari in Chrome now. Plus a backup of everything.

Let me know if you have any questions or run into any problems,

-Chris

Generic-user-small
19 Aug 2016, 12:40
Carol Shreve (3 posts)

The Export function does not download a file from Safari. It displays a page full of source code. So I tried to save that page as Export.txt. Safari makes me choose whether to save as Source or as a Web Archive. I tried both ways, and both times, when I choose that file to Import, I get the following error: :gamingjs.com says: This does not look like a ICE project file. Unable to import.”

I just gave up and used a brute force Select All, Copy, Paste, etc. to create his projects over in Chrome (there weren’t that many), but I thought you would like to know about the efficacy of the Export/Import tool from Safari in the Beta version.

It wasn’t elegant, but I do have him coding again, and that is what is important!

Thanks for your help. I know just enough about all this stuff to be dangerous, and I’m known as the lady who can break any software! Let me grind on it long enough, and I WILL confuse it! I think my mind is just defective and doesn’t work the way developers expect it to, so I do things in a funky order. :-)

20 Aug 2016, 00:01
Chris Strom (229 posts)

Oh, shoot! It definitely had not occurred to us that it might work differently in Safari. Since the book is Chrome-only, we tend to focus our development efforts on Chrome to the detriment of other browsers. I created a ticket so that we won’t forget to look into this at some point.

In the meantime, I’m glad copy & paste worked. It’s not perfect, but if it works, it works :)

Let me know if you run into any other problems or have any other questions.

Cheers!

-Chris

You must be logged in to comment