22 Jul 2014, 08:26
Generic-user-small

Thomas Dahl (8 posts)

Hi!

I am going thrue the examples in book and cant make an object with inv (Chapter 3, Figure 5 - Final LFO Patch)

I run Pd 0.43.0 (Vanilla) on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

How can I make my pd use inv??

22 Jul 2014, 15:00
Mypicture_pragsmall

Tony Hillerson (22 posts)

Hello Thomas,

It looks like that was an oversight on my part, and [inv] is not part of Pd Vanilla. Can you switch to Pd extended?

If not, I supposed you’d replace it with something like a [ / ] with a message box containing 1 to the left inlet. It may need a loadbang triggering the message. Then the depth would go into the right inlet.

I’m away from Pd now… maybe you could give that a test and see how it works? I’ll come back and test also, and reply here with what I find.

22 Jul 2014, 21:02
Mypicture_pragsmall

Tomas, that didn’t quite work, the loadbang only does the calculation once. What we need is to do the calculation every time the slider changes. I can think more about it…

One thing to realize is that the inv only does the calculation for the readout of the rate in Hz. It doesn’t affect how the LFO works at all, so the fact that it doesn’t work doesn’t matter too much. The easiest solution is to use Pd-extended while going through the book…

22 Jul 2014, 21:27
Generic-user-small

Thomas Dahl (8 posts)

Hi Tony!

I rather use Vanilla - Im planning to use Pd with an Android app later…and I think the recommendation is to use Vanilla so I try to learn Pd the vanilla-way ;-)

If you find a solution I am eager to hear about it.

28 Jul 2014, 15:09
Mypicture_pragsmall

Thomas - check this out: http://puredata.info/docs/tutorials/TipsAndTricks#id4. Under the heading “Reciproce A Number” [sic], there are a few different techniques for inverting a number.

Just be aware that if you use the expr~ object, that’s released under GPL. I believe someone was working on changing that to BSD, but I don’t know if that’s released. If you use GPL code in an app you’d have trouble with the Apple and Google licenses in their app stores.

29 Jul 2014, 12:09
Generic-user-small

Thomas Dahl (8 posts)

Ok, thanks Tony!

…but I am not sure about how to read this information….forgive my “newbieness” ;-)

Ex:

number
|
[1 $1(
|
[/ ]
I understand that this must be a number object :-) but the rest?? Shall I write [1 $1( [/] in the number object???

Oooh I didnt know that GPL was troublesome in app stores! Thanks for the information, I better check my code before release.

29 Jul 2014, 17:32
Mypicture_pragsmall

Thomas,

I’ve seen that notation before. I think that it means a message box as opposed to an object box. You could try one of the other more clear options, too.

As for GPL, I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that GPL is explicitly not compatible with the Apple app store. I believe the same for the Play store as well, but most of the online information is about Apple.

First of all, GPL doesn’t allow a downstream license to supersede it, and the app store has a license users agree to.

Second, and strangely, it seems to be the case that this restriction is only about compiled, not interpreted code. Most times Pd is interpreted, but it’s sometimes compiled, so you have to be careful about that. I’m not sure to what extent the difference there matters either.

I’m not telling you what you should do, here, though. Mostly I’m outlining what I know to show you that the issue is unclear. To be safe, most everyone uses BSD or MIT licenses and avoids GPL and LGPL when putting anything in the app stores.

03 Aug 2014, 10:36
Generic-user-small

Thomas Dahl (8 posts)

Tony you are right! The [1 $1( means a messagebox with 1 $1 in it! And the l is the connections between the boxes…aahh now when I look at it, its obviuos! ;-)

It worked like a charm instead of inv :-)

Thanks for the help.

(strange..this forum dont allow some text…had to use a l instead of )
  You must be logged in to comment