small medium large xlarge

Ron75x100_pragsmall
11 Sep 2014, 00:06
Ron Jeffries (2 posts)

Thanks for joining the forum for The Nature of Software Development.

I’m very interested in what you think and feel about this book. It’s a departure from my other books, and pretty much a departure from most of the software-oriented books out there. I’ve said what I had to say as well as I can, and I hope it resonates for you.

Sometimes I think the book is more of a keynote speech. Sometimes I wonder just what it is. :)

So let us hear from you: it can only make it better. Thanks!

Plbh mugshot2_pragsmall
21 Sep 2014, 09:30
Per Lauge Buresø Holst (1 post)

Great book on a difficult topic: What software development should be like for the best possible outcome for both developers, company, and customers.

When you have tasted freedom, and revered the respect that you probably know what you’re doing. When you have tried the true aspects of autonomous teams it is the more detrimental to have to work with a micromanaging and secretive project management hierarchy.

But what are the odds that such companies will actually read, understand, and implement the insights in the book?

Hopefully this book will instill trust in the rigid companies insisting that waterfall process with a single release is the only way. In that sense software remains invisible as the clothes in The Emperor’s New Clothes.

Generic-user-small
24 Sep 2014, 03:26
Leonardo Bueno Postacchini (1 post)

Hi Ron, my first impression on the book is that the title does not advertise to the right group, I am getting its main target are management instead of developers, but the title made me think it was intended to developers.

The lava analogy is interesting but I had a feeling there was a bit of redundancy in that part, I think maybe it could be reworded to be a little more concise.

In chapter 4 there is a picture with the subtitle: Feature teams avoid more difficult “scaling”.

This phrase seems dubious, it gave me an impression at first read that a feature team would run away from scaling if it is difficult, instead of having the property of reducing the difficulty of scaling as I think it was the intention.

Ron75x100_pragsmall
25 Sep 2014, 03:14
Ron Jeffries (2 posts)

Thanks per … I can only hope. :)

Thanks, Leonardo, we’ll have to see what we can do about making sure it hits the right market. Or developers can give it to their managers :)

Thanks for the chapter 4 thing, I’ll add it to the errata section.

Thanks, guys!

Generic-user-small
25 Sep 2014, 17:41
Jeremiah Adams (1 post)

Best of Luck with your book, however the most I got from it was that implementing smallest feature sets that provide maximum return of value is key. I knew that before reading. This book was not anything what I was expecting, however in fairness, I couldn’t really tell you what I really was expecting to get from it, but in fairness to future potential buyers I don’t feel like it was worth the purchase, this book and probably the subject would have worked better as a magazine issue.

You must be logged in to comment