small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
07 Mar 2016, 17:37
Sacha P.S (1 post)

I work on minecraft servers and I’ve always wanted to participate on the development side as I’ve got lots of ideas, which I’d like to develop myself. A while ago I bought “Learn to Program with Minecraft Plugins: Create Flaming Cows in Java Using CanaryMod”. I recently starting on it, got the Chapter 3 and I realised something… I need to be learning using Spigot, not CanaryMod. The server I work on uses spigot.

I know you (Andy) don’t use Spigot and haven’t release a book on learning Java using Spigot, but I definitely know that the Canary Edition I bought a while ago isn’t going to get me far into what I really want to do. I read some posts on this forum and from what I saw, there were other people asking the same thing. So I bought the Bukkit Edition ebook earlier, as Spigot is basically a Bukkit fork, and I’m at a dead end. There is no Craftbukkit or Bukkit API out there which I can use for the ebook.

Not sure what to do as of now, but I need help finding a correct path for me to learn from so I can eventually bring my ideas to life by myself. I’ve asked some devs and most of them said I should straight up learn java. However this is where it gets tricky for me. The reason I want to learn to code is purely for minecraft purposes, not to just learn java for the sake of it. Purely to for Minecraft. One person linked me a post on the Spigot wiki ( https://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/how-to-learn-java-programming) and it says it 2-5 years after learning java is a good time to start working on Spigot plugins. I’m just really confused. I want to learn java and how to develop plugins together and get better at it over time. I’m sure that’s not how it works, but I have an urge to bring my ideas to life on my own… I just don’t know where to start or what path to take.

Generic-user-small
15 Mar 2016, 23:17
Jim Jackson (1 post)
  I understand that it might be very confusing at first, we have all been there. You should probably learn the essentials of programming through Khan Academy, Code Academy, or Learn2Mod. Once you have learned the necessities, you should probably convert your server to CanaryMod and use the Canarymod version of the book you bought. 

CanaryMod API: (That I use) http://docs.visualillusionsent.net/CanaryLib/1.0-RC-3/overview-summary.html

If things get too tricky, you have the internet to help you. :)

You must be logged in to comment