small medium large xlarge

Elmer_pragsmall
01 May 2015, 09:09
Phil Duffen (2 posts)

Just wondering when the chapter on parsers will be ready?

Me-201407-square_pragsmall
04 May 2015, 21:35
Rob Miller (12 posts)

Hi Phil,

It’s proving to be the trickiest of all the chapters, perhaps unsurprisingly — it’s difficult to distill such a broad subject down to a single chapter and be left with something useful.

For that reason it will likely be the last chapter released to beta, which glancing at the schedule should mean that it’s released in 3–4 weeks’ time from now.

If anyone has any suggestions for this chapter, I’d particularly welcome them!

Best, Rob

Generic-user-small
06 May 2015, 18:23
Andy Leak (6 posts)

re: parser suggestions - use Parslet !!

06 May 2015, 19:15
Rob Miller (12 posts)

Absolutely — I’m a huge fan of Parslet and it’s basically the only way (in my view) to create a practical guide to writing parsers that fits in a chapter and isn’t overwhelmingly theoretical.

Elmer_pragsmall
09 May 2015, 08:48
Phil Duffen (2 posts)

Will you be touching on Racc and StringScanner too?

15 May 2015, 22:39
Rob Miller (12 posts)

StringScanner is what I’m using as an introduction, since it introduces the idea of moving through a string and consuming text as you go; then I’m going onto to Parslet. I didn’t think Racc was sufficiently different from Parslet to warrant inclusion, but I’m happy to be persuaded otherwise!

Generic-user-small
12 Apr 2017, 20:32
Randy11 (3 posts)

Hello Rob,

I had try to use Parslet. It’s useful tool to parse the lines of file or stream … but probably for a silly reason, I’m completely lost when I must work with a repetition of a multi-line structured block. My problem is ‘where to put the ‘newline’ rule ?’. I think to give up with Parslet because of this.

I’ve described my problem here : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43295971/ruby-parslet-and-structured-multi-line-block-where-to-put-the-newline-statement

As your are ‘a huge fan’ of Parslet, could you give me an advice ?

I don’t forget to say ‘Thank you’ for your book, even the beta versions where very useful for me.

Best regards.

You must be logged in to comment