23 Feb 2010, 17:17
Generic-user-small

John McKown (11 posts)

I’m considering this book, or maybe the Language Implementation Patterns one, in order to write a program which can parse and perhaps even interpret a very old “control” language. This language dates from the 1960s and is still in use and being enhanced. But in a very “ad hoc” way. Which has made it very difficult for me to write a parser for it. I have gotten about 90% success using Bison and Flex. I am curious about Antlr, and this archaic language is my “test case” as it is a real PITA to parse. It is somewhat column oriented, with certain things needing to start in specific columns (like labels in column 3 because columns 1-2 are always //, continuation indicated by a non-blank in column 72. Columns beyond 72 are ignored. and so on).

I am used to reading things which are similar to “Language Reference” manuals with examples. I have read the Groovy, Scala, and Clojure books from this site and feel that I’ve learned a lot from them. Could this book be considered a “reference manual with comments”?

Thanks.

24 Feb 2010, 16:37
Australia-3_pragsmall

Terence Parr (36 posts)

Hi John, well, it’s a ref manual with comments and examples and discussion :) I hope it helps! Terence

24 Feb 2010, 17:52
Generic-user-small

John McKown (11 posts)

Thanks. I just couldn’t resist, so I just now bought (and downloaded) Language Implementation Patterns. I may end up getting this one as well. I chose the other simply because it is more recent. I’ll see how I like Antlr compared to Flex & Bison. I prefer Java to C, in general.

25 Feb 2010, 18:25
Generic-user-small

John McKown (11 posts)

Well, I went ahead and purchased (and downloaded) this book too. Why not? I really like the fact that I can get softcopy. I put it on my KindleDX and take it (along with about 170 other books) around with me. Makes waiting in the doctors’ offices worth while.

You must be logged in to comment