small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
06 Jul 2015, 18:54
Mohit Chawla (2 posts)

Hello, I am enthused to buy the book, but didn’t notice a further reading section in the book contents. Umm, just wondering if the author could suggest a list of further reading / bibliography ?

Generic-user-small
07 Jul 2015, 02:34
Jamis Buck (30 posts)

The book does contain a section at the beginning (in the introduction) listing some additional online resources, but I’ll be honest: it’s a bit sparse. There really are no other books that I’m aware of which discuss maze generation algorithms (but if anyone knows of any, please do share).

For websites, Walter Pullen’s excellent Think Labyrinth site is a must read, with information about the algorithms and the psychology of mazes. (He’s a bit light on implementation details, though, so while you can learn the algorithms from his pages, it requires a bit of trial and error).

Mike Bostock has done some beautiful work on algorithm visualization with his D3 library, here. Sprinkled among the visualizations are a few related to mazes. Again, they’re light on implementation details, although you can read the (Javascript) code for pointers.

Also, I wrote a series of articles about each of the maze algorithms several years ago, summarized here. These include walk-throughs of the algorithms and sample implementations, but I’ll be honest: I’ve learned a lot since writing those posts, and the book presents them much better. :)

If anyone else has any maze-related resources to share, please do!

You must be logged in to comment