small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
31 Jan 2017, 06:49
Jerred (2 posts)

Hello,

New to some of the command line tools involved in the start-up phase and I’m running into an error. Ruby installed fine, but now when I run the installer for the download from the download for this book, it errors out and says JSON can’t be installed. It gives pages of code in the terminal but nothing I can really identify as an error message other than simply “could not install”, which is really frustrating, and hard to google yourself out of.

I’m on a Mac, up-to-date software, and I’ll keep working on it, I have a few troubleshooting steps left to try, but if anyone has had this problem before, maybe you can save me some time?

Mypicture_pragsmall
31 Jan 2017, 14:33
Tony Hillerson (38 posts)

My first guess is that there’s some problem compiling the native extensions for the JSON gem. Try installing the gem directly by typing gem install json, and let me know what the error is.

Generic-user-small
03 Feb 2017, 16:43
Jerred (2 posts)

Thanks, I played around with it, it might have been a compatability issue. After installing a ruby manager and down-grading ruby, it went through. I think i had a higher version than 2.0 the first time, which I assume is what caused the problem. Next items I’ll be sure to look more critically at the version.

Mypicture_pragsmall
03 Feb 2017, 17:51
Tony Hillerson (38 posts)

Yea, there’s still a bit of convention mixed in there with Ruby version managers, so unless you use them just so, the version requirements won’t be enforced.

You must be logged in to comment