small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
06 Mar 2017, 16:41
Rick Liu (1 post)

Rails 5.1 introduced many feature updates, such as yarn & webpack. Are there any plan to update the book to cover these changes?

Samr_small_pragsmall
06 Mar 2017, 16:44
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

While I don’t have anything that I can announce at this time, this book has been consistently updated since Rails 1. Feel free to draw your own conclusions. :-)

Generic-user-small
10 May 2017, 14:47
Nuno Silva (1 post)

Book for 5.1 is out: https://pragprog.com/book/rails51/

Being a buyer of the version for Rails 5, I find it outrageous that you are releasing a new book instead of updating it.

With the eBook priced at $28 I’d expect it to be kept up-to-date, and cover all iterations of the Rails 5 version (including 5.1, 5.2, etc)

Just feels like a scam now…

Dsc00765_pragsmall
10 May 2017, 15:39
Susannah Davidson Pfalzer (113 posts)

Hi Nuno,

Thank you for your note. Although Rails 5.1 is a point release, this book revision is not just a minor update. It’s being majorly reworked in its biggest revision in years. We have added Dave Copeland to the author team, and the book is being revised throughout to stay in sync with the way developers are working with Rails today. This first beta has an entirely new chapter with coverage of Webpack and React, and many more changes, additions, and updates are in the works. Previous buyers of our Rails 5 book receive 35% off the ebook, and all buyers of any previous edition of the Rails book have a 15% off coupon.

We’re looking forward to seeing feedback and suggestions from our beta book readers of this new edition for how to make this book even better and even more relevant for you.

Best wishes,

Susannah Pfalzer

Pragmatic Bookshelf

Generic-user-small
16 May 2017, 11:41
Diogo Cordovil S. Cordeiro (2 posts)

Hi, I wonder if there are any differences right now from the 5.0 to 5.1 book that could justify buying the 5.0, and if so, which would they be ?

I currently am developing an app with 5.0.0.1 and don’t really feel like upgrading to 5.1 right now. This said, I would like to grasp the most up to date version, while benefiting from the core of the book.

Anyone can provide insights on this ?

Generic-user-small
17 May 2017, 12:49
Frédéric Planté (2 posts)

Hi Susannah, I previously bought the Rails 4 version, and I get the rails 5 version for free.

How can I get the 35% (or 15% ?) coupon ?.

Thanks

Dsc00765_pragsmall
17 May 2017, 15:52

Hi Frédéric, thanks for asking! Our support folks will be in touch to help you out.

Dsc00765_pragsmall
17 May 2017, 15:58

Hi Diogo,

Thank you for your question. The 5.1 version will have code that’s somewhat different from the code in the 5.0 version of the book, but if you can work around that, I’d recommend the newer version, as the content is being updated with newer techniques and best practices. So far we have added a new chapter on using Webpack and React with Rails, and new information on system testing, as well as general updates throughout the book for Rails 5.1. More additions, changes, and updates are in the works as well.

Best,

Susannah

Me4_pragsmall
17 May 2017, 21:45
Alan Maciel (10 posts)

HI, I bought the 5.0 but when I add the 5.1 ebook to the cart I don’t get any discount, where can I find the 35% discount code?

Dsc00765_pragsmall
17 May 2017, 21:48

Hi Alan,

I’ve let our support folks know about your issue and they’ll be in touch soon to help you out.

Best,

Susannah

Generic-user-small
21 May 2017, 07:12
Arman Jon Villalobos (6 posts)

Hello, please email me too, I had the coupon before but when I add it to the cart again It didn’t take effect.

Generic-user-small
23 May 2017, 18:39
Diogo Cordovil S. Cordeiro (2 posts)

Hi Susannah, just to say thanks for your answer. It feels nice to actually have answers at such a swift pace to our question, attending needs of connection.

May you and everyone over there have a great day. Cheers, Diogo

You must be logged in to comment