small medium large xlarge

Photo_pragsmall
02 Jun 2016, 19:08
James Tharpe (1 post)

I just read through the book and I felt a lot of essential information was missing, including:

• Installing rspec and basic commands of rspec/rake - I use .NET and PHP for my websites and apps. I’m not familiar with Ruby and it was not listed as a prerequisite, how do I get started? Is this book only for Rails apps?
  • Checking for common errors - Broken links, JavaScript syntax errors, multiple jQuery instances, un-closed HTML tags, etc, etc., how do I check for this stuff?
  • Browser compatibility testing - How do I run tests in multiple browsers? How do I know pages “look right” in addition to functioning correctly in, say, IE8?
  • **Responsive layout and/or device testing* Does the test I just ran on a desktop computer work on an Android phone? How do I test gestures like “swipe”?
  • Monitoring - sometimes apps break in production after they’ve been running fine for months. How do I run tests on production?
  • Testing Common Technical Scenarios* - What if cookies are disabled? What if AdBlock is blocking a script from loading?
Jr-profile-smaller_pragsmall
04 Jun 2016, 07:37
Jonathan Rasmusson (17 posts)

Great points James. You are right. There is a lot to learn to do this stuff.

I am going to make it more clear in the preface that this isn’t a deep dive book. It’s a getting started, book for focused on fundamentals, and that many of the deeper things you mentioned aren’t covered in the book.

Thanks for sharing this insight.

Cheers - Jonathan

Generic-user-small
27 Feb 2017, 19:00
Arto Astala (1 post)

Jonathan,

You ignored the first and most basic question:

Installing rspec and basic commands of rspec/rake - I use .NET and PHP for my websites and apps. I’m not familiar with Ruby and it was not listed as a prerequisite, how do I get started? Is this book only for Rails apps?

Not answering this fundamental beginner question implicitly gives answer “For Ruby programmers ONLY!” Would it be otherwise, You would happily exclaim that it is for everybody, independent of implementation technology used in the web site or app.

Jr-profile-smaller_pragsmall
28 Feb 2017, 01:27
Jonathan Rasmusson (17 posts)

Hi Arto,

Apologies. That was the goal. There was no way to cover setup for all the different automation platforms and technologies. So I decided to pick the language that I thought was best for learning the fundamentals (Ruby/RSpec) and leave setting up the individuals technologies and plaforms out. Else the book would have been huge.

Thank you for the comment though. I feel your pain. And I wish it was easier to set all things things up.

Cheers - Jonathan

You must be logged in to comment