small medium large xlarge

Mkerley-square_pragsmall
02 Oct 2015, 05:11
Michael Kerley (1 post)

Hi Brian,

Thanks for writing this great book! I’m an experienced developer with several languages. Currently I do most of my development on iOS, so I’m using the book to learn Swift. And doing occasional exercises in other languages just to stay sharp.

I was thinking of putting my solutions on my GitHub account, and maybe even blogging a bit if I come up with any particularly interesting solutions.

Would you have any objection to that? I realize that posting solutions might make it easy for someone to guess the questions without buying the book, so I thought I’d run it by you first.

Thanks!

Mike

Bphogan2016_pragsmall
13 Oct 2015, 19:29
Brian P. Hogan (172 posts)

So I’m thinking of putting together an official repository of solutions that would just accept pull requests. I’m hoping to be able to turn this into something people can learn from.

How does that sound?

Generic-user-small
16 Jan 2016, 21:48
Jason Staph (1 post)

I’m not quite comfortable speaking for Mike, but I love this idea. I’m working through the book using Ruby, and even having comparisons from other languages would be awesome.

Bphogan2016_pragsmall
16 Jan 2016, 21:52
Brian P. Hogan (172 posts)

Since I haven’t gotten huge demand for this, it’s been on the back burner. But I can certainly make this a priority if there is more interest.

One thing that does worry me slightly is that if the answers are out there, fewer people feel driven to actually think about how to do them. But I believe that having a repository of possible solutions will be an incredibly interesting and eye-opening experience.

Let me see what I can do.

280ftolafe7o6p6ykkqg_pragsmall
18 Jan 2016, 20:06
Christopher Krailo (1 post)

I bet something like Discourse + Slackin would work well here, both for getting help while solving the problems and for building a community around the specific problem set and the solutions people have built. Then the book can point people directly to Discourse.

Btw, love the badger badger badger reference! :)

Generic-user-small
13 Mar 2016, 18:56
Orcus (1 post)

I would love this! I’m using swift and I’m stuck on problem 13….. Can’t figure out the math part since Swift doesn’t allow ^ for exponents and when I break down the equation the “pow” function is returning “inf”.

I’m obviously doing something really wrong…. :-(

You must be logged in to comment