small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
23 Mar 2017, 12:51
adequate.developer@gmail.com (1 post)

Contents don’t mention the subject of Elixir testing. Are you sure there’s nothing to add about the how, when, where, and what of Elixir testing?

Generic-user-small
29 Mar 2017, 01:09
Lance Halvorsen (34 posts)

Thanks for your question. I do think testing is important, so I’d like to address this.

I’ll tell you a secret. I started writing this book in a full-on TDD style. I quickly realized that the testing was taking over the focus of the book, and I had to re-write what I had already done without tests to get it back on track.

There will be an appendix pointing readers toward resources for testing. And to give you a forthright answer, I don’t think I would have anything groundbreaking to add to what is already available.

Generic-user-small
17 Apr 2017, 02:31
Arvind Dhiman (3 posts)

I finished chapter 3 and felt a need to understand the code I had written following the book so far. I started writing unit tests.

My tests are here: https://github.com/arvindhiman/islands_engine

Generic-user-small
03 May 2017, 14:55
Dan McHarness (7 posts)

Thanks Arvind,

I finished the first cut of Coordinate in chapter 2 and was feeling the need to get a handle on Elixir unit tests.

Generic-user-small
12 Aug 2017, 00:10
Gary Fleshman (1 post)

Thoroughly enjoying the non-ORM treatment in Ch.2.

But, I find the reliance on iex to illustrate return values as a missed opportunity to build a foundation of unit tests underneath the domain model. Reading code in an eBook is fine, but line after line of iex output dilutes the major points that are being presented.

Reminds me of this over-used proverb: “give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime”

xlated: “give a man an [iex result] and you feed him for a day; teach a man to [write a test] and you feed him for a lifetime”

You must be logged in to comment