small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
14 Nov 2017, 17:28
Jim Bird (2 posts)

Hi Michael,

I was very happy with the coverage of security issues in this edition. I’ll be going through it in detail, but at this point I wanted to suggest a tie in between security and reliability/resilience in the rest of the book.

The first edition of your book led me to an important understanding that has shaped a lot of the work that I’ve done in architecture and in software security. A lot of security problems, and reliability/resilience, problems are caused by mistakes in trust: trusting somebody else’s code to work a certain way, or trusting data to be correct or safe without checking it. Establishing valid and clear trust boundaries, and understanding and questioning trust is so important to writing secure and resilient system.

I think it is important to explain this relationship between security and the rest of the patterns (and antipatterns) in the book, rather than people thinking of security as another problem to be solved. Security and resilience go together, they complement each other in important ways.

You must be logged in to comment