small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
07 Jun 2017, 20:36
Ivar Vasara (3 posts)

The book’s homepage has a circular graph that makes it clear that this book is aimed at beginners up to intermediate, but in the preface’s “Who This Book Is For” section it states:

Clojure is a powerful, general-purpose programming language. As such, this book is for experienced programmers looking for power and elegance.

It would be good to clarify the intended audience up front.

Alex_head_pragsmall
07 Jun 2017, 21:11
Alex Miller (25 posts)

Hi Ivar,

Thanks for the feedback. The book is for beginners with Clojure, but does assume the reader has some familiarity with programming in another language (but maybe “experienced” goes farther than it should). I will discuss it with my editor and see if we can bring these into alignment.

Alex

Generic-user-small
15 Jun 2017, 18:32
Brett Pershing Stahlman (7 posts)

I also would like to get clarification on this. I’m an experienced programmer who wants to learn Clojure deeply, and doesn’t want to spend a lot of time going through concepts that should already be clear to an experienced developer. I’ve researched the market on Clojure books and am having trouble finding (a recently published) one that fills this niche…

Alex_head_pragsmall
15 Jun 2017, 18:35
Alex Miller (25 posts)

Hi Brett, not sure I have too much to add beyond what I said prior - I would encourage you to look through the excerpts and table of contents and see if it seems like the right match to you. Or happy to answer more specific questions if that would help.

Alex

Generic-user-small
28 Nov 2017, 15:08
John Marcus (2 posts)

I know this comment is very late, but I just bought the beta now…
I’ve been reading “The Joy of Clojure”, and that seems to be very much an advanced Clojure book. Even with programming experience in a other languages I find Clojure to be so different, that I needed to start from the very beginning. Clojure code is so terse that even just looking at code samples I was having problems understanding how so little code was able to solve complex problems. Clojure requires unlearning how you solve problems in other languages, and I think books such as this help guide those of us new to the language through the basics of learning the Clojure approach to programming.

You must be logged in to comment