small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
27 Feb 2017, 09:49
Sergio Ocón (2 posts)

I’ve seen that the beta for Rails 5.1 has been released, and now it includes many things that are used in this book, like webpack integration, generator for Angular applications, etc.

It would be great to add that information to the book. Specifically to understand where the CSS for bootstrap would go, whether is still necessary to delete sprockets, and all that simplified configuration for Rails with Webpack.

Dmfcb_pragsmall
27 Feb 2017, 13:16
David Copeland (421 posts)

5.1 supports two asset pipelines - Sprockets and Webpack. My book uses one—Webpack. Since Webpack is almost entirely unconnected to Rails, everything in the book should work with 5.1, although it might be easier to do using webpacker—we’ll have to see. Rails has a history of removing major features from a beta before release, so I don’t want to bank on webpacker being there. Also, I’d have to rewrite much of the book and it’s going to copyediting right now :)

Generic-user-small
27 Feb 2017, 16:51
Sergio Ocón (2 posts)

Well,

Thanks for your quick response!

In case you want to try: I created one application using Rails 5.1 with webpacker:angular Added patternfly (based on bootstrap, and including it):

yarn add angular-patternfly@4.0.0-alpha.3 --save
    yarn add patternfly@4.0.0-alpha.3 --save

And adding this to the application.html.erb

~~~

<!-- PatternFly Styles --> <!-- Note: No other CSS files are needed regardless of what other JS packages located in patternfly/components that you decide to pull in --> <!-- Angular-PatternFly Styles -->

~~~

And the CSS is working. Notice that the path is in the assets, not node_modules.

Generic-user-small
27 Mar 2017, 09:38
Alberto (3 posts)

Hi David, I understand that a book in the printing phase couldn’t be edited easily, but at least for the digital version would be very useful to have some updates that make the tutorials work seamlessly with Rails 5.1 (now in RC phase and headed to final release in a few weeks) exploiting its new features, many very much related with your work it seems to me. A software development book that it’s not up to date could miss much of its potential, and your book has much. Thanks!

Dmfcb_pragsmall
27 Mar 2017, 11:48

Actually, we decided to pull it from printing and update it for Rails 5.1 (and Angular 4 :).

The Angular stuff is being re-worked to use Webpacker, which simplifies a few things, including unit testing. We should have a beta update with these changes soon!

Generic-user-small
29 Mar 2017, 12:19
Alberto (3 posts)

I think it’s a great news David! Thanks ;)

Generic-user-small
30 Mar 2017, 18:09
Mark Fowler (14 posts)

Thanks! More/new info on getting Rails & Angular to play together is great news (though for you it must seem never-ending :(

Dmfcb_pragsmall
30 Mar 2017, 18:46

It does :)

But, it’ll be a while before Angular 5 and Rails 5.2, so I think I’ll have a breather :)

1378470_10201594379893417_697049378_n_pragsmall
17 Apr 2017, 20:39
Chad Tipton (14 posts)

David,

Thank you for pulling and updating for 5.1. I appreciate it.

Generic-user-small
18 May 2017, 10:04
Mark (6 posts)

Thank you for revising the book for Rails 5.1 and the updates to Angular 4.

I worked through the Beta 4 and 5 versions, and am just working through doing this again with the new Rails 5.1.

Like Chad, I echo my thanks for pulling the book so that it stays relevant with the current version of Rails. Thank you for the work you put into answering forum questions too.

You must be logged in to comment