Back to: All Forums  tmux 2
Generic-user-small
30 Jun 2017, 00:00
Keith Thompson (2 posts)

In the “Conventions” section, it says:

• Ctrl-b means “press the Ctrl and b keys simultaneously.”

I suggest wording this a bit differently:

• Ctrl-b means “press the b key while holding down the Ctrl (Control) key.”

Two things here. One is that perhaps not everyone knows that “Ctrl” means “Control”. It’s easy to assume that everyone already knows this, but I suggest it’s worth mentioning. This is a minor point, since the key is typically labeled “Ctrl” on keyboards, but I suggest it’s worth adding one word.

The other, which I think is more important, is that you don’t have to press Ctrl and b simultaneously. I’ve seen people who are unfamiliar with how the control key works who painstakingly try to press them both at once – and I imagine they’d fail about half the time, when they happen to press b slightly before pressing Ctrl.

In fact you can press Ctrl, wait a few seconds, press and release b, wait another few seconds, then release Ctrl, and it will work just fine. Yes, that seems obvious, but it might not be to everyone. And the difference might be significant to some readers with physical issues.

Bphogan2016_pragsmall
30 Jun 2017, 00:02
Brian P. Hogan (176 posts)

Thanks for your comments. Can you post this to the Errata instead? I’d love to track it there and consider it for the next release.

Generic-user-small
30 Jun 2017, 21:13
Keith Thompson (2 posts)

Done. (I didn’t initially see the errata link; I should have looked harder.)

You must be logged in to comment