small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
31 May 2017, 16:01
Scott Wlaschin (13 posts)

Welcome to the beta of “Domain Modeling Made Functional”, and thanks for being interested in my book!

I’m really eager to get your comments on what parts can be improved or explained better, and what parts are too long or not needed.

This is a definitely a work in progress right now, so please don’t expect it to be perfect – at least, not yet :) The book covers quite a few different topics, and I’m still working on organizing things to be as clear as possible, so there will be many more changes coming as the beta progresses and as I incorporate your feedback.

Thanks again, and do let me know what you think.

Generic-user-small
31 May 2017, 17:38
james thompson (1 post)

Scott,

Being looking forward to your new book ever since you announce it on your website. Looking forward to reading it when I get home this evening. Good luck with it.

James

Generic-user-small
04 Jun 2017, 16:45
Bjorn Einar Bjartnes (1 post)

Excellent book. Read through it this weekend. Really enjoy how it links tactical DDD with F# in a crystal clear style as we are used to from Scott W.

Location 4252 could mention the part about errors as exceptions that will be handled later. It is mentioned at 4527 and I think it could be mentioned earlier.

I would also be interested in more details on how to do capsulation of internal state with modules. It is done in a few examples, maybe it is me being to stuck in OO thinking, but I still think immutability does not replace the need to capsulate data that you only want to be accessed through functions.

Maybe also a note somewhere regarding strategic DDD, I find the book an excellent intro (maybe the best I have seen) for a programmer curious on DDD, but it would be good to mention that all aspects of DDD is not in scope for the book. I think this book mostly covers tactical patterns and ubuiquitous lang, directing the reader to further reading on strategic DDD could be valuable.

Also I learned quite a lot, I thought I knew more F# than I did… I really enjoyed how techniques are introduced as needed in the context of building an app.

Anyway, thanks for writing this book. Will strongly recommend this book to F# and non-F# devs :D Probably also buy a few copies and leave them around the office.

Bjørn

Generic-user-small
11 Jul 2017, 05:51
Jose Vera (1 post)

Scott,

I’ve been through your book for the last couple of weeks. It is fantastic and just what I needed. I am rooted in Business Processes but new to programming. I find FP really fits nicely into the business procedures way of thinking.

I find myself coming back and forth all the time and writing side notes, but this may very well be due to my inexperience with code. F# is very straightforward but I found sometimes that you started to write in OO mode, or with methods and a very different style. Is this common in F# as well?

I happen to understand functions very well and that is why I like F#, but things like C# are hard for me to follow.

Congratulations for making such a needed book. I find it like no other in the market right now and is just what I (an many others like me) needed to make the shift to a digital way of working.

I am looking forward to reading the completed version. Keep up the good job!

Generic-user-small
11 Jul 2017, 07:44

Thanks Jose, I’m so glad you’re liking the book.

I take your point about mixing in OO techniques. In the next revision I’ll see if I can avoid them, but if I do use them I’ll be sure to explain why am doing that rather than using FP only, and I won’t assume that everyone knows OO.

Thanks for the feedback!

Generic-user-small
28 Jul 2017, 11:17
Derek Lavine (3 posts)

Hi Scott, love the book so far. I am just starting to look at F#, having first got a glimpse at FP way back in the 80’s when I used a language called “Hope” (I am only sorry I did not keep abreast of the FP advances) so please excuse me if my feedback is due to ignorance when I make comments about the book content, but hopefully it will help a bit.

I wonder also if you might have a list of functional and DDD “must reads” in order of complexity, simple first of course. My brain is not as flexible as it once was and I need baby steps.

Cheers Derek

Generic-user-small
28 Jul 2017, 11:33

Thanks!

a list of functional and DDD “must reads”

Maybe I’ll add an appendix with a bibliography. Meanwhile , for DDD, the place to start is dddcommunity.org. And also look at the most upvoted “DDD” questions on StackOverflow, as the answers often have pointers to popular books and blog posts.

For functional programming in F#, I’m going to recommend my own site (!) fsharpforfunandprofit.com. If you get more into FP, try searching for #fsharp or #haskell on Twitter or the subreddits /r/fsharp and /r/haskell

Generic-user-small
01 Aug 2017, 07:58
Derek Lavine (3 posts)

thanks for that Scott

Generic-user-small
02 Sep 2017, 07:05
Bent Tranberg (2 posts)

The brilliant site F# for fun and profit helped me grok F# like no book was able to. This book is perfectly timed for my next challenge - to transform that knowledge into complex industrial and business systems developed solely in F#. Thank you so much, Scott.

Generic-user-small
03 Sep 2017, 06:55
Bent Tranberg (2 posts)

Is it possible to have the chapter headings link back to their entries in the content list? That would make it very easy to navigate back and forth between the content list and the chapters.

Generic-user-small
03 Sep 2017, 07:46

Hi Bent,

Thanks so much for your kind words – I hope you enjoy the book!

Re: linking from the chapters back to the TOC

Good idea. I’ll will ask the PragProg team about this.

Thanks!

Scott

You must be logged in to comment