small medium large xlarge

13 Dec 2017, 18:33
Douglas Sjoquist (1 post)

I realize it will vary a great deal depending on the child, but what general age range or understanding level did you have in mind for your book?

Thanks! Doug

13 Dec 2017, 19:40
Chris Strom (277 posts)

The age range is 10 and up. I originally wrote it for my kids, who were all around that age, and that still holds in the second edition.

Like you say, it’s really dependent on the kids. I know of kids as young as 7 who really enjoyed the book. I would caution that 7 is likely too young – it mostly depends on how much individual kids are interested in the topic. Like all of us, kids are willing to work through frustrations if they’re fascinated.

You can test drive things at There are some hints directly in the example project. If a kid has fun playing with those numbers and expresses interest in trying more, chances are they’ll enjoy the book!

13 Dec 2017, 19:50
Diego Zamboni (1 post)

Hi - I would also be interested in this information. I have a 9-year-old who is interested in programming, I have gotten her started with Scratch and Kodu, and I would be very interested in this book if it’s targeted at kids her age.

(update: thanks Chris! You posted your answer while I was composing my comment :)

You must be logged in to comment