small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
31 Dec 2017, 18:34
JPM (4 posts)

Last week I purchased the first edition of this book and I now see that there is a second edition.

How specifically does the second edition differ from the first edition?

When will the second edition be available as a physical book?

Sincerely,

Chris_strom_headshot_200_pragsmall
01 Jan 2018, 01:14
Chris Strom (274 posts)

The first edition is still great. You won’t go wrong working through the examples in that book.

The overall organization remains more or less the same in the second edition. In general, we use WebGL almost exclusively and removed / corrected small things that didn’t work as well as I hoped from the first edition. We’re also hoping to incorporate some coding-for-mobile, but that’s still experimental.

Surprisingly, those things turned into big changes. A small change in an earlier chapter required bigger changes later. New approaches meant new code and re-organized / re-written chapters. In the end, most chapters wound up being significantly rewritten and several have been replaced entirely. When we changed or replaced anything, we placed an emphasis on making them more fun, of course! More info about what’s new can be found in the intro of the 2nd edition.

We are targeting the middle of March for the print edition to be ready.

But no worries, the 1st edition is still great fun. Of course, I’m working very hard to make the second is even better. But the 1st is still pretty great. And until March, it’s the best way to learn JavaScript and 3D Games in print :)

Hope that answers the question well enough. If you have any more, don’t hesitate to let me know!

-Chris

You must be logged in to comment