small medium large xlarge

Adamtornhill copy_pragsmall
25 Oct 2017, 18:47
Adam Tornhill (14 posts)

Dear reader,

Welcome to the discussion forum for Software Design X-Rays.

I’ll be here in the forum, and I’m happy to discuss the content and answer any questions you may have around the book.

This initial beta release contains the first seven chapters out of a total ten. I have drafts for the remaining chapters, so they will be posted over the next month.

Generic-user-small
25 Oct 2017, 21:05
Zeff Morgan (3 posts)

Hey Adam. Loved one of your other books on what seems to be a similar subject. Your Code As A Crime Scene.

The premise of this one seems very similar to that other book. What makes it stand out as different? In other words, what do you have in this book that you don’t have in the other one that will make me want to buy it?

I did review the TOC … perhaps I intuited some of these things from YCaaCS, after all, it was a great book. Your insight would be greatly appreciated. And will this be using Code Maat?

I’ll probably buy it anyway, but I’d love to hear your pitch. Thanks!

Zeff

Adamtornhill copy_pragsmall
26 Oct 2017, 07:26
Adam Tornhill (14 posts)

Hi Zeff,

Thanks! I’m happy that you liked my previous book.

Software Design X-Rays represents the evolution of the ideas and concepts from Your Code As A Crime Scene. As such, there is an overlap. If you read the previous book, you’re already familiar with hotspots and the implicit coupling metrics presented here in chapters 2 and 3. These two concepts are needed as they lay the foundation for the more advanced analyses, and the new book goes deeper into both concepts. Most of the material points out new directions – like chapter 4 on refactoring patterns, chapter 5 on code age, and the upcoming last three chapters that look at different architectures – that I haven’t covered before.

I guess the style reminds of Your Code As A Crime Scene, although it’s surprisingly hard for myself to tell. Software Design X-Rays is interdisciplinary too, but this time there are no direct forensic references.

My overall goal with this book is to take software development one step closer to a point where decisions – both technical and organizational – are influenced by data and research findings.

Code Maat isn’t used directly in the book, but there’s an appendix that explains how Code Maat could be used for the analyses. Most chapters use Git directly to illustrate how the data mining is done, and the case studies are also presented online in the CodeScene tool as an interactive gallery. In general, I wanted to focus more on explaining the algorithms and how to act upon the information, and less on the actual tooling. The book’s Introduction, available as an excerpt, explains it in more detail.

I hope you’ll like this one too.

Generic-user-small
09 Nov 2017, 18:28
Zeff Morgan (3 posts)

Fantastic! I’ll be picking up my copy shortly. Looks like I’ll have some good reading I can do with things slowing down as we get to the end of the year.

Really appreciate the clarification!

You must be logged in to comment