small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Modern Vim
Med_hair_color_pragsmall
01 Nov 2017, 15:49
Kay Rhodes (3 posts)

One thing that’s not been clear to me is why I should care about the new packages feature. So far, i haven’t seen a compelling explanation of why I should switch from plug or vundle to something that uses it. You mention how to disable plug and vundle, but not why the reader would want to. Why might this be a worthwhile thing for me to do, especially when by switching I will be loosing functionality. For example, i love that plug lets me specify which languages a plugin should be loaded for.

Drewneil_pragsmall
03 Nov 2017, 15:19
Drew Neil (41 posts)

If a complete Vim newbie asks “How do I install a plugin?”, I don’t like to respond by saying “Well, first you must install a plugin (e.g. vim-plug/vundle/pathogen).” That’s absurd! But for a long time that has been the best advice. Since Vim added packages, that’s no longer the case. The best advice now is: “First, create a .vim/pack/mypackage/start directory (if it doesn’t already exist), then download the plugin and place it in that directory.”

You mention how to disable plug and vundle, but not why the reader would want to.

Just to be clear: I don’t care which plugin manager you use. If it works for you, carry on! My reason for giving instructions on how to disable plug/vundle is logistical: if you want to follow the examples in the minpac tip, you better make sure that minpac is the only plugin manager installed. Now that I think about it, perhaps it would make more sense to link to the “Using factory settings” section in the introduction, which is how I handled a similar problem in the previous tip “Installing Plugins to Your Package”.

I love that plug lets me specify which languages a plugin should be loaded for.

I’m aware that plug has this feature, but I’ve never found a reason to use it. Vim already has filetype plugins and it already supports lazy loading. Why do you need that feature? (I’m genuinely curious to know. I’ve tried to find problems for which that is the solution and I can’t think of any.)

Drewneil_pragsmall
03 Nov 2017, 15:40
Drew Neil (41 posts)

I realise now that I responded to the body of your post, but not the subject line…

Managing Plugins with minpac lacks a “why”

There’s a couple of “why”s that you might be asking here.

Do you want an answer to the question: “If I can install a plugin just by putting it in my package, why do I need a plugin manager?” (Since you already use vim-plug, I suspect that’s not the question you’re asking, but I’ll answer it anyway…) Without a plugin manager, you can easily install and uninstall plugins, but updating your plugins can be a bit of a pain. A plugin manager makes it easy to bring all of your plugins up to date by running a single command. I cover this in the section “Updating Plugins in Your Package”, on page 15.

Or were you wondering: “Why should I switch from vim-plug/vundle to minpac?” If you’re hooked on vim-plug’s features, stick with it. If you’re drawn to the minimalism of minpac (or if you’ve never used a Vim plugin manager before), try it out!

I say more or less the same in the closing section of the minpac tip, “Migrating to minpac” on page 19. Maybe I should rename that section heading to “Trying out minpac” or something?

Med_hair_color_pragsmall
15 Nov 2017, 22:18
Kay Rhodes (3 posts)

Or were you wondering: “Why should I switch from vim-plug/vundle to minpac?”

it’s more that. because you’re telling people how to disable the plugin managers they already have, but not why they should. vim-plug and vundle seem to get the job done without much hassle, so i doubt most people are particularly bothered by them, and here you say to disable them for another plugin manager, that may be built in, but doesn’t offer any obvious benefits so i come away feeling “ok, sure, it’s built in, but so what? The existing tools seem to work fine. Why should i bother changing all the stuff in my ?”

I say more or less the same in the closing section of the minpac tip

I think what you say there is probably a fine answer. honestly i stopped just before that section. What i think would be better is just moving that paragraph to the start of the “managing plugins with minpac” section.

To me it’s the difference between “here’s a bunch of technical info…. oh and here’s why you should care” vs “here’s why you should care… still interested? here are the details.”

“minimal” isn’t really a selling point (for me). I don’t care how minimalist or bloated my plugin manager is. I care that it’s easy to use, doesn’t cause me headaches, and doesn’t slow things down.

You must be logged in to comment