small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Modern Vim
Generic-user-small
21 Nov 2017, 13:24
Lindsay Davies (3 posts)

Now that vim8 has :terminal support, will the chapter remain neovim-specific, or will it be extended to also cover vim8?

Drewneil_pragsmall
21 Nov 2017, 16:12
Drew Neil (45 posts)

That’s a tough question! At present, I consider the :terminal in Vim 8 to be unfinished, and it would be too soon for me to write about it in detail. I do discuss the feature in the appendix “What’s next for Modern Vim”, which will be published in a revised beta edition soon.

When I started writing Modern Vim, I had already been using Neovim’s :terminal in anger for more than a year. During that time, the feature became more stable and reliable, so that my early teething pains gradually went away. Today, I consider Neovim’s terminal feature to be pretty robust.

I’m not going to make any promises about covering Vim 8’s :terminal feature in Modern Vim. It has to prove itself useful before I consider writing about it.

For the 1st edition of Modern Vim, the material on :terminal will be Neovim only. I may consider writing about Vim8’s :terminal in a 2nd edition of Modern Vim, or possibly in a revised edition of Practical Vim.

You must be logged in to comment