small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Modern Vim
Generic-user-small
23 Nov 2017, 11:47
Guilherme Garnier (2 posts)

Hello. I’m very interested in reading Modern Vim, but I just found that you have another book, Practical Vim. Is it supposed to replace the older one? Or should I read Practical Vim before it?

Drewneil_pragsmall
25 Nov 2017, 11:22
Drew Neil (45 posts)

Thanks for your interest.

I’d recommend that you start with Practical Vim, which covers Vim’s core functionality in-depth with lots of practical examples. I’ve often received feedback from readers along the lines of “I’ve been using Vim for 10 years, but I picked up lots of new techniques from reading Practical Vim”.

In some ways, I think of Modern Vim as a sequel to Practical Vim. The focus of Modern Vim is more on how Vim can work with other tools (such as linters, compilers, grep-alikes, etc.), allowing to turn the text editor into a development environment. (I try not to use the term “Integrated Development Environment” (IDE), because the word “integrated” suggests that everything works out of the box, whereas I’m advocating more of a roll-your-own approach). In Modern Vim, I go beyond the core functionality and look at ways that you can extend the editor’s functionality by installing plugins.

Also, Practical Vim is “finished”, whereas Modern Vim is currently a beta book, meaning that it’s a work in progress.

I hope that helps?

Ca_profile_pic_pragsmall
30 Nov 2017, 02:35
Chris Arndt (13 posts)

Thank you, Drew. I had the same question.

You must be logged in to comment