small medium large xlarge

Img_9131_pragsmall
12 Jan 2008, 15:34
Johannes Hoff (2 posts)

Will there ever be a printed version? If I buy the PDF one, will that give me a discount on the printed one? For some reason, it’s easier to justify spending money on something more physical than bits.

By the way, lacking a general discussion forum, how come there is no mention of The Pragmatic Programmer book on this site? After all, that is one of the best computer books out there!

Generic-user-small
14 May 2008, 23:53
Tracy R Reed (1 post)

I too would like a printed version. I agree with the Johannes: If I’m going to pay money for it I would at least like a professionally printed copy. I suppose I could print out the PDF on a duplex printer and then stick it all in a 3 ring binder like I have done for other things but I know that won’t last as long.

Generic-user-small
23 Jun 2008, 14:44
Matthew Bain (1 post)

I asked them about this back in April and was told they had no plans to release a printed version at that time, in part due to there being a lot of colour graphics, which would I assume cost a lot more to print and which would not look very good in black and white. If anyone is listening though, I would still rather have this as a proper printed book if it will help change minds :)

Generic-user-small
26 Jul 2008, 22:21
Clare J. Boffemmyer (2 posts)

Here’s my vote for a printed version too. I like pdf’s strictly for reference-type books (e.g., the prag-prog book on subversion, with its excellent back section on command usage), but for where I am actually trying to learn a new subject, I want it in print. However, I really want to get this book in print as a gift for someone - giving a pdf just isn’t the same thing.

Andy-talking_pragsmall
13 Aug 2008, 02:25
Andrew Hunt (226 posts)

Keep posting and asking for it, and we may well consider printing this title.

thanks!

/\ndy

David__alfa__pragsmall
13 Aug 2008, 11:19
David Lazaro Saz (1 post)

Printed version: yes, please. I agree with Clare, I prefer printed versions for learning.

Generic-user-small
19 Aug 2008, 20:52
David Morgereth (1 post)

I guess I’m a Luddite - gimme the printed version. Gotta be able to read it on the bus on my way to work.

Jgb-phone_pragsmall
05 Sep 2008, 20:42
Jon Gretar Borgthorsson (1 post)

+1 for printed version. I hate reading off the screen for too long.

Generic-user-small
11 Sep 2008, 05:09
Dion L Heinz (1 post)

I would also like to see a printed version.

Generic-user-small
13 Sep 2008, 01:03
tangcsu (1 post)

I hate reading off the screen for too long.

Sporkage_pragsmall
02 Oct 2008, 01:21
Michael Sanders (1 post)

I agree; I’d really appreciate a printed version

Img_9131_pragsmall
14 Oct 2008, 07:16
Johannes Hoff (2 posts)

I ended up buying the PDF, but I’m sorry to say that I still haven’t read it; more than half a year later. Not that I’m such a big fan of killing trees, but there is just so many places you can’t read a PDF, where you could have read a printed book.

Perhaps the showstopper is the missing ebook reader.

Generic-user-small
30 Dec 2008, 16:48
Andy Doddington (5 posts)

Pretty please? Printed version :-)

Generic-user-small
07 Aug 2009, 10:46
Steve Williams (2 posts)

+1 for the print version

Vimeo_pragsmall
28 Aug 2009, 07:07
Sam Dutton (1 post)

Another vote for printed version.

The problem for me (and others, I guess) is that I can’t order a book from work in the normal way unless it’s a printed book available from online booksellers.

Generic-user-small
02 Sep 2009, 18:53
Daniel Olson (1 post)

I’d love a printed copy as well, PDF’s just aren’t my cup of tea for a book like this.

Generic-user-small
11 Oct 2009, 23:02
David Marsh (1 post)

I’d love a printed copy, loads of low quality books around with many color plates, how do they manage it ?

Worst ways make the less important images greyscale and have a few colour plates.

I’m sure theres a market and profit for exactly this type of book, lots of pictures is an even greater reason to print rather than PDF it.

I can’t stand reading PDF’s for more than a few minutes, for learning a subject a printed book is far superior. A quality book like this would also have some long term value.

I also agree it would make an excellent gift for techies.

Come on pragmatic programmer’s ! Get this printed and out for next christmas !

Photo_14_pragsmall
09 Dec 2009, 13:10
David J. (6 posts)

If this were printed, I would buy it immediately. I like to have a physical library of books on hand. Not so much into PDFs and wouldn’t pay for one.

Generic-user-small
24 Mar 2010, 08:59
Daniel Sperl (1 post)

I’d love to have a printed version, too!

And, BTW: it would be great if you added the information that the book is ONLY available for download prominently on the book’s info page. I searched quite a while at Amazon and other stores because I was not aware of that, and did not find it!

Thanks in advance! Daniel

Mugshot_pragsmall
21 Aug 2010, 15:51
Molte Andersen (1 post)

I too, would by far prefer a printed copy.

Generic-user-small
07 Jan 2012, 18:59
Patrick Lanove (2 posts)

“If this were printed, I would buy it immediately. I like to have a physical library of books on hand. Not so much into PDFs and wouldn’t pay for one.” -David J.

While the last part there does not apply for me, the rest does. Also, like Daniel Sperl I performed many online searches for info on this book. It was only after reading his post that I learned this book has no printed counterpart.

So please, Dave and Andy, we want a printed version.

You must be logged in to comment