small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Podcast Series
Generic-user-small
17 Oct 2010, 22:42
Tim Azzopardi (1 post)

Excellent interview, huge respect for the man. Unbounded enthusiasm. Agree with open mouthed awe with most of what he said. But…

1. Odd comment along the lines of “No more leadership from C#/Java”. Probably the case for Java unless Oracle really pull their finger out. But LINQ and PLINQ in C#? LINQ: SQL syntax inspired manipulation of arbitrary data structures including most importantly in memory collections. PLINQ: Show me another language that has this potential ease of access to multicores. To be fair it is based on academic research that has come from Haskell to C# (possibly via F#). Still pretty ground breaking stuff for a “legacy language”. Maybe thats the last innovation we’ll see in the next 20 years, but MS seem to be trying hard to innovate all the time.

2. Odd comment along the lines of: “Is there anything new in any language. Is there any point looking? Shouldn’t we just pull all existing languages in a blender and see what floats to the top.” WTF. No. The pace may slow at times, there will be periods of consolidation and throwing the baby out with the bathwater. But people will always advance their science. Example: take a look at Google Go. Statically typed with automatic compile time implicitly implemented interfaces. No OO, no encapsulated classes, turning OO/C/C++ on its head. Another example is your UB’s favourite Clojure with MVCC based STM with consistent read snapshots that are never blocked by infinite writer streams allowing dramatically easier concurrent multicore programming. Did I mention C# LINQ and PLINQ? Whether or not all these ideas will play out in the long run is irrelevant, they are relatively new ideas worth taking seriously that may become standard parts of most future languages. Long live polyglot programming!

Also,

Wow! An admission that sometimes its hard to justify to oneself the time spent all those unit tests.

Cycling 20-30 miles a day. Enough said. More important than the Katas and Koans IMHO.

Keep up the good work UB!

Generic-user-small
04 Nov 2010, 09:41
Dmitri Nesteruk (1 post)

Great interview, still keep my “Agile Principles” book close by. But just like the previous comment author, I don’t really agree about Java and C# being dead ends and fading into obsolescence or niche use. Java itself is pretty much over but will live on - probably in Scala and not in Closure. As for C#, I don’t know about you, but I certainly see lots of new and exciting stuff forthcoming. In fact, the fact that C# develops in such interesting ways is the reason I keep it as my primary language.

I kind of want to subscribe to the idea that we’ve explored everything there is in languages, but whatever the case, my take on this goes along the lines of going up a step on the abstraction ladder. Why don’t we look more at metaconstructive capabilities of tools such as MPS? Or just plain old code generation, for that matter. I know many people fear this ‘extra layer’ (or ‘layers’ as the case may be), but I for one think this is one possibility worth exploring.

Generic-user-small
03 Sep 2011, 07:54
Vinod (1 post)

Thanks for this wonderful interview. Quite refreshing and reassuring

You must be logged in to comment