small medium large xlarge

Logo_pragsmall
14 May 2009, 15:35
Douglass Turner (10 posts)

Hello,

I am interested in using a massive number of UIViews (maybe UIImageViews in the mix as well) for an app I’m designing. I’m talking thousands, perhaps 10,000 addressable small visual elements populating the screen. By addressable I mean interactively animatable and not baked into pixels. My reason for this insanity is because of the ease with which they can be manipulated - position, color, opacity, response to touch events, etc. They are high level, abstract the narly bits and all the functionality I need is right there so I needn’t get my hands dirty with Quartz which I prefer not to use.

Could someone please give me a sense of lightweight instances of this class are? If UIViews are too heavy can some suggest an alternative approach of having thousands of visual elements at my beck and call on the screen at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Doug

Biopic_100x100_pragsmall
14 May 2009, 16:11
Bill Dudney (917 posts)

Hi Doug,

I would suggest starting with Core Animation’s CALayers instead of UIViews.

Good luck!

Logo_pragsmall
14 May 2009, 17:02
Douglass Turner (10 posts)

Bill,

Just for clarity, are you saying that direct manipulation of layers (ie, adding a bunch of layers to a view) is ok? I from your Core Animation book I got the sense that it was best practice to manipulate the view rather the the layer(s) contained within.

-Doug

Biopic_100x100_pragsmall
14 May 2009, 18:18
Bill Dudney (917 posts)

Hi Doug,

It’s not ‘better’ it’s easier :)

That said the book has mostly a Mac flavor to it since it was written before the NDA was lifted.

Hope this helps, please let me know as you progress if you need help.

You must be logged in to comment