small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
01 Sep 2008, 18:00
James Butler (2 posts)

To be specific, I did a search through the pdf and iPhone was hit 3 times, always mentioned in passing. If you are looking for a book with specific iPhone content, I would pass on this one. Most of it applies, but there are some key differences that I would hope a book with the title Core Animation for OS X and the iPhone would mention.

For example: Page 53: You mention that it is easy to get layer backed views by calling setWantsLayer:. Unfortunately there is no equivalent code for the iPhone. It would be nice if you discussed an alternative means of getting access to layer backed views on the iPhone. Which now I get to hunt and pick around the internet to try and find something about this. Defeating the purpose of purchasing this book in the first place.

Are there plans on any additions like this coming out before the book is published?

Even though the book’s title over promises, in general it is concise and provide examples that are easy to follow. Besides, I don’t know of any books other books out there on Core Animation.

Biopic_100x100_pragsmall
01 Sep 2008, 20:15
Bill Dudney (917 posts)

Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback. The iPhone specific material is as yet unreleased. We can not release it until Apple removes the NDA. The alternatives that are specific to iPhone are all discussed in a separate chapter that essentially walks you through the delta.

Sorry for the confusion, we expected the NDA to be lifted much much sooner than it has.

Hopefully the NDA will lift soon and the iPhone specific stuff can go out.

Thanks for the kind words about the book.

TTFN

You must be logged in to comment