small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
26 Sep 2016, 08:25
Mario Valle (2 posts)

I’m enjoying the book (resurfaced in my bookshelf after years). In one talk I want to speak about multitasking and your reference to 20 minutes to switch context in a cognitively demanding task is a good point to cover. But do you have any article your study reference to back it up? I known from experience it is true, but I have to speak to a bunch of scientists… Thanks a lot! Mario

Andy-talking_pragsmall
22 Sep 2016, 14:01
Andrew Hunt (226 posts)

Microsoft has a bunch of studies:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/horvitz/interrupt.htm

Also, see the material on task resumption cueing, such as:

J. Gregory Trafton, Erik M. Altmann, Derek P. Brock, and Farilee E. Mintz. Preparing to Resume an Interrupted Task: Effects of Prospective Goal Encoding and Retrospective Rehearsal. International Journal Human- Computer Studies. [58], 2003.

Erik M. Altmann and J. Gregory Trafton. Task Interruption: Resumption Lag and the Role of Cues. Proceedings of the 26th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society. 2004.
Generic-user-small
26 Sep 2016, 08:24
Mario Valle (2 posts)

Thanks a lot Andy! At the end I quoted the following one:

Shamsi T. Iqbal, Eric Horvitz, Disruption and Recovery of Computing Tasks: Field Study, Analysis, and Directions, Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference CHI ‘07, 2007, pp. 677–686, DOI: 10.1145/1240624.1240730

that in the summary quotes 20-25 min for the switch. See you! mario

You must be logged in to comment