small medium large xlarge

23 Jan 2009, 07:53
SoftMind (6 posts)


let me explain my points step wise..

First of all lets admit that, this book is delayed beyond expectations.

Next.. there are evolutionary changes declared in last month since Dec 23rd.

Third… This book is scheduled for March 2009 and Rails conference 2009 is declared from 4th May 2009 onwards, where they will distribute Rails 3.0 beta or version 1.0

This clearly means… the life of this book is hardly 2 months, and no developer would like to preserve or invest in an outdated version of the book.

Fourth… Merb in action by manning publishers is changed to Rails 3.0 in action. Another book called “Merbway” will now focus strictly on Rails 3.0 only.

When Rails 3.0 == Merb 2.0, any Merb book will be useful for all.

My Suggestion:-

This Beta book is considered to be an apple amongst Rails books. This is the most trusted book when it comes to Rails.

The Authors should stop now… They should hold the production of the book and re-write strictly focusing on New rails 3.0. Subscription should start once gain with the New title.

The current subscribers are not at all in loss, they are already getting PDF version regularly.

Authors should conduct an opinion poll and ask the community what do they feel. Anything in a haste would be a waste thats what i feel.

Looking for more suggestions here by community.


24 Jan 2009, 01:40
David John Porter (12 posts)

Hi SoftMind,

I think you will find that is what is currently happening…

Plus there have been noises made about the book becoming an annual subscription.

Suggest you read back through some of the earlier discussions about this…

Cheers, Dave Porter

24 Jan 2009, 21:05
Dave Thomas (366 posts)

Let me start by saying that if this is tough for readers, it’s just as tough (if not tougher) for us. We’ve been tracking changes to Rails since it started, and have tried to create books that mark each significant milestone. But the core team don’t need to follow strict release plans, and we’ve learned (the hard way) not to base production schedules on announced dates.

So we’re taking the current book to press—copy edit will start next week.

I think the reality is that the Rails 3/Merb marriage will be wonderful, but not something you’ll want to take into production in the near term. The Rails 2 book will be definitive for a while.

What comes next? Frankly, I’m not sure. I’d like to offer a subscription-based book, where we guarantee to track changes for so many years or months. But there are some interesting legal and pricing issues to resolve before we can commit.

But this book will see print with Rails 2.2.


14 Feb 2009, 16:52
Phil Thompson (2 posts)

Two points:

  1. As with software you have to put a stake in the ground and release with the current stable version
  2. They said they are hoping to have a beta by RailsConf but even if they make the deadline it’ll still only be a beta. It’ll be a good few months after that before we even see a release candidate let alone a full release and as Dave points out you wouldn’t want to use it in production until it’s bedded in a bit.

Another things that can hold up the release: 1. This is a big step for Rails. More people means longer meetings. Two products merging? I can see the heated debates. 2. We’re talking about five years of development and version 3 of the product. Even the best written software takes longer to develop when you’ve that overhead not to mention installed user base.

I mean this in a good way. We’ll get something great out of it I just think it’ll take a little longer this time.

15 Feb 2009, 07:49
Victor Marius Costan (5 posts)

Waiting for Rails 3 is an unrealistic expectation in my opinion. People have been working for quite some time now, and they need to get paid. Plus, the last book in print covers Rails 1.2, and that’s probably bad for Pragmatic’s sales… and I want those sales to be good, so I can read more good books :)

On the other hand, I just read the feature log for Rails 2.3, and I think there’s a lot of awesomeness there (support for nested models in views, Metal. I suggest creating an online-only edition 3.1, covering Rails 2.3 (which might be out by the time 3e gets in stores). People who buy the print edition would get the online update for free (so they don’t have any reasons not to buy the book). People who bought the PDF in the past x months (for some 2 <= x <= 6, I guess) could get the upgrade for free, whereas the rest of us would have to pay $5 or something like that. I hope this would be fair for everyone involved.

05 Mar 2009, 01:28
Conrad Taylor (10 posts)

Hi Victor, I was thinking about something along the same lines:

a) Release the Rails 2.2 book as hard cover but continue to update the PDF based on the current stable release version of Rails. This updated PDF will be free to those that have purchased the hardcover and/or PDF. Otherwise, you’ll have to pay the standard fee for the PDF.

b) Release the Rails 2.2 book as hardcover and generate a complimentary PDF covering changes in Rails 2.3 or 3.x when a final version of that release is published. These complementary PDFs will not be free and I think that they would be half the standard price of the PDF that comes with the hardcover book.

I like option (b) because it allows me to see the exclusions/inclusions for a particular release. Also, this will assist me in the migration effort to this release. Last but not least, then one can publish an updated hardcover based on the current stable release of Rails every 18 months or so.

Just my 2 cents,


06 Dec 2009, 06:47
Bill Tihen (10 posts)

Hello, Now that Rails 3 is available in Beta, is there any plans to start a Rails 3 book? I do not know how long it takes to prepare a book, but I am guessing about a year. I was thinking it would be nice to have an intro to Rails 3 BEFORE it becomes commonly adopted. Bill

You must be logged in to comment