small medium large xlarge

Dabbi_i_vinnu_pragsmall
05 Apr 2009, 16:33
Davíð H. Lúðvíksson (2 posts)

I would like to see the code examples more integrated with TDD/BDD software design, there is a great value of demonstrating it from the very start of the depot application instead of having it in the last part of it. It makes it against the physiology of making test first for failing then coding for making them pass.

Samr_small_pragsmall
05 Apr 2009, 19:27
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

I strongly agree. I joined the team with the intent to do exactly that. When I did, Dave cautioned me. I don’t recall the exact words, but they were something like “if you can manage to pull it off, you are a better story teller than I am”. You see, he believes in TDD and BDD as much as the rest of us do. And he’s actually a better story teller than I am.

But I tried anyway. What I ended up with was a book on TDD/BDD, which happened to use Depot as an example. By highlighting the concepts TDD/BDD, it under-emphasized the concepts of Rails that this book was trying to teach.

My conclusion was that actually would be a good book to write, but this was not this book.

Dabbi_i_vinnu_pragsmall
05 Apr 2009, 22:34
Davíð H. Lúðvíksson (2 posts)

Thanks for the reply, I agree that it would have doubled the page count at the least. I really love the idea of sticking to one application example throughout the book. Is there a book about TDD/BDD with the depot application as an example or something similar?

You must be logged in to comment