small medium large xlarge

28555da_pragsmall
23 Apr 2009, 20:01
David Wilbur (49 posts)

i just noticed that the currently downloaded pdf starts numbering pages at the very first page, as page 1… and the printed book considers page 1 to be the first page of chapter 1. this creates some rather interesting conversation… like… “look at what it says on page 534 about custom form builders” and the response being… “what are you talking about? 534 is about forms that wrap model objects…”

i could understand slight differences as time goes by… but this seems as an unintended thing since prior to page 1 in chapter one pages are roman numerals in the printed book. in the earlier pages book page 72 is pdf page 80 thus 8 page difference, and page 534 in the book about custom form builders is 537 in the pdf… 3 page difference. so even that is not a consistent difference. strangely, pagination seems the same in both for the same page ie: the page 534 in the book and 537 in the pdf, both contain the same material… which, i wouldn’t have expected given the page count differences changing as you go further into the book… maybe some blank pages were dropped?.

Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall
23 Apr 2009, 23:28
Dave Thomas (390 posts)

We’ve always done this: paper books have blank pages because chapters always start on the right. The PDFs done. Also, many PDF readers have physical page numbering, so when it says “see page 123” you want to be able to type 123 into the page number box and have it take you there

So, for all these reasons, we actually go to some trouble to number PDF pages starting at the first page, and paper pages starting at the content.

Cheers

Dave

28555da_pragsmall
24 Apr 2009, 21:05
David Wilbur (49 posts)

odd then that this is the first time that i have noticed that.

i guess that most of the time i use the pdf even though i also have the book in most cases, and never was discussing it with someone who had the book.

You must be logged in to comment