small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
29 Apr 2008, 13:48
Nicolas Blanco (3 posts)

Should the book cover RSpec instead of Test::Unit ? Today, a lot of developers use RSpec and almost all new projects use it. Even if the book does not cover RSpec, maybe it should at least reference it.

What do you think ?

Samr_small_pragsmall
29 Apr 2008, 20:31
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

I still haven’t figured out what I want to do here. When I first read the book, I was disappointed that there was a Task “T” tacked on almost as an afterthought, but Dave assures me that this was not the case – he assures me that it is hard to mix the creation of test cases into the main narrative without interrupting the flow, and I completely believe him. That being said, I plan to make an attempt at doing exactly that. Who knows, perhaps RSpec may make this easier, being closer to narrative and all that. Perhaps chapter 6 can bump along without rigorous testing for a bit, learn a lesson in the process, and end with all tests passing, and subsequent iterations in subsequent chapters could start with a spec, proceed onto implementation, and then with demonstrating that the spec passes. And what currently is chapter 13 could dive into more details and techniques.

But I don’t want to promise anything just yet – it is entirely possible that mixing testing into the narrative simply can’t be done in an suitably unobtrusive fashion. Even if this turns out to be the case, there may be room in chapter 13 to introduce RSpec as an alternative.

Generic-user-small
15 May 2008, 05:55
David Kapp (8 posts)

If RSpec is hard to fit into the narrative, then perhaps an overview of it could be put in as a reference chapter or appendix section? I’m not sure how appealing that would be or if it’d be enough space to cover enough of it to be useful…?

Me_pragsmall
28 May 2008, 19:05
Jeff Cohen (19 posts)

I think other BDD gems like Shoulda and test/spec are worthy of consideration, and not allow RSpec to be seen as the only choice.

Generic-user-small
29 May 2008, 19:35
Michael McDermott (14 posts)

I would love RSPEC inclusion, but it seems like Shoulda would be a good fit since it extends Test::Unit. Is test/spec under development? I thought it was halted as the author worked on a new bdd testing package.

You must be logged in to comment