small medium large xlarge

Scottgardner 200x200_pragsmall
06 May 2008, 18:51
Scott Gardner (7 posts)

In the Note to beta book readers, you mention the possibility of completely removing this chapter, and ask for our feedback. Mine is: update it and keep it! This is valuable info for those of us needing to install or update our Ruby or Rails. Thanks

Generic-user-small
12 May 2008, 12:49
James West (104 posts)

Yes! Please keep it!

As a total newbie to web development(although not a newbie to desktop development) and ruby and Aptana and Rad Rails (Which is what I am using to get to grips with all this) I have found every single word totally helpful.

(apart from the mistakes that is lol :-))

James West

Samr_small_pragsmall
12 May 2008, 20:54
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

OK – the next beta will have this note removed and be updated slightly. In subsequent betas, I’ll look at expanding it even more.

M_v_shokhirev_pragsmall
18 Jun 2008, 04:39
Mikhail V. Shokhirev (a.k.a. Mike Shock) (19 posts)

I suggest a small but useful addition to the Chapter 3 “Installing Rails”: consider mentioning the Bitnami.org’s RubyStack installer. The reasons are: (1) its graphical install wizard is very simple for the beginners and convenient for advanced developers; (2) it is multi-platform (Linux, Mac x86, Mac PPC, Solaris x86, Solaris SPARC, Windows); (3) the developer installation includes almost all the necessary tools (Apache, ImageMagick, Mongrel, MySQL, Ruby, Rails, Rmagick, RubyGems, OpenSSL, phpMyAdmin (for MySQL), SQLite3, Subversion, zlib, …); (4) the production variant of the installation is optimized for speed & productivity; (5) it’s installed in one directory and doesn’t modify anything else in the system. I use it under Linux, Mac and Windows and I’m quite satisfied with it, indeed. To my opinion, it’s quite pragmatic and especially useful for developing and testing cross-platform applications as well as for unified training samples.

Serban_smile_engaged2_pragsmall
11 Jul 2008, 08:58
Serban Porumbescu (5 posts)

Hi Sam.

I have a comment and suggestion on section 3.3 Installing on Mac OS X. The directions as written will certainly work, but I’m concerned about directly upgrading the versions that ship with Leopard or 10.4.6. Apple could mess with your installation during a future update or your modifications could affect other applications dependent on Apple’s versions.

I suggest starting with the same section 3.3 from the second edition and updating it to reflect any new information (i.e., Leopard and SQLite3 stuff). The hivelogic.com directions have been updated for Leopard ( http://hivelogic.com/articles/2008/02/ruby-rails-leopard) and for Tiger (http://hivelogic.com/articles/2007/02/ruby-rails-mongrel-mysql-osx).

I’m glad to see this chapter is sticking around.

Samr_small_pragsmall
11 Jul 2008, 10:18
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

I’m still new to OS X, and frankly I’m a bit surprised at how hard basic things are as compared to Ubuntu, but in any case I started from the instructions I found on “Developing Rails Applications on Mac OS X Leopard”:http://developer.apple.com/tools/developonrailsleopard.html that I found on the Apple Developer Connection website.

In a subsequent pass over the book, I’ll look into adding information on compiling the code for yourself and introduce the notion of not overwriting the system installed versions.

You must be logged in to comment