small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
15 May 2008, 23:42
Jamie Paulson (3 posts)

So I’m running into some issues in the B1.1 edition…after making modifications to move the cart to the sidebar using partial templates (p 126), I get the following mess when I hit the store page:

================ NoMethodError in Store#index

Showing store/_cart.html.erb where line #5 raised:

You have a nil object when you didn’t expect it! The error occurred while evaluating nil.items

Extracted source (around line #5):

2: Your Cart 3: </div> 4: <table> 5: <%= render(:partial => “cart_item”, :collection => cart.items) %> 6: <tr class="total-line"> 7: <td colspan="2"> 8: Total

Trace of template inclusion: /layouts/store.html.erb

I’m staying pretty tight to the book (I think), so I’m kind of dumbfounded to hit an error. But it looks like maybe the store.html.erb doesn’t have an instance of @cart so is passing in nil. Maybe?

Still a newbie here so go easy on me…

Generic-user-small
15 May 2008, 23:45
Jamie Paulson (3 posts)

Hey remember the time I said I was staying tight to the book? Yeah, I was lying… Missed the changes to the store_controller.rb.

Disregard my post. Unless you want to make fun of the newbie now.

Samr_small_pragsmall
15 May 2008, 23:48
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

Line 5 looks like it might be missing an @ sign before cart.items. See “_cart.html.erb”:http://media.pragprog.com/titles/rails3/code/depot_j/app/views/store/add_to_cart.html.erb

Generic-user-small
16 May 2008, 21:33
Jamie Paulson (3 posts)

Thanks for the response, Sam…but I think the book text is actually correct (it actually states that we can just use “cart” w/o the “@”)…this is purely user error.

Working out of a PDF book apparently presents my brain some challenges in being able to read carefully. :-)

You must be logged in to comment