small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
12 Aug 2008, 16:33
Adam Kenney (2 posts)

I get the following error when trying to launch the console:

“Loading development environment (Rails 2.1.0) dyld: NSLinkModule() error dyld: Symbol not found: _rl_filename_completion_function Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-darwin9.4.0/readline.bundle Expected in: flat namespace

Trace/BPT trap”

I searched around and couldn’t find a good reference as to how I can fix the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Note: The rest of the install seems to be fine as far as I can tell. I was able to make it through the Getting Started App in Chapter 4, and have built most of the app on the Apple Site (http://developer.apple.com/tools/developonrailsleopard.html), but when I went to open the console per the tutorial on Apple’s site I got the above error. Oh, I don’t know that it matters, but I’m not using Xcode for any of this - just running everything from the terminal.

Thanks for any help!

Samr_small_pragsmall
12 Aug 2008, 18:29
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

Those instructions are basically how I configured my Mac Mini.

Does irb also fail?

The reason why I ask is that your problem appears to be with readline, which is a library that interacts with the console. “irb readline support on Leopard”:http://henrik.nyh.se/2008/03/irb-readline describes some similar problems and solutions. It suggests that irb as shipped with OS X Leopard does not have readline support, but somehow I have picked it up and you must have too. Perhaps these instructions will help?

Generic-user-small
13 Aug 2008, 00:39
Adam Kenney (2 posts)

Yes, irb also fails. I had installed a fresh copy of everything in usr/local/ and must have somehow pulled in the readline & done so incorrectly. For now I’ve reverted back to the system installed directory and using your install/upgrade directions got that up & running. Now everything seems to load okay.

At some point I’ll go back & try to decipher the issue with readline, mostly out of curiosity, but for now I’m going to keep pushing forward with the book using the other path.

Thanks for the help. I’ll keep you posted should I figure out the solution.

You must be logged in to comment