small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
13 Aug 2008, 14:14
KenA (16 posts)

Hi. I came to the following doubt. RoR is good in automating things, ex: in Iteration A1: Get Something Running, we operate over the Product entity by scaffolding and migrating it and these operations create a bunch of new files and the db table as well. I saw that we can rollback the migration to an older version of the schema, but can I totally undone the procedure(s), eg I want to undone the migration and the scaffolding. Is there a command for undoing things?

For instance if I decide to undone the scaffolding by hand I´ll have to delete manually all the related files and that´s a lot of work and can lead to mistakes also, eg, deleting a wrong file or forgetting to delete one of them…

Samr_small_pragsmall
13 Aug 2008, 16:49
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

This is mentioned on page 38 in beta 1.4, but perhaps not emphasized enough. What you really want to do is set up a version control system. These days there are several high quality and free DVCS systems to chose from (e.g., git, hg, and bzr). With such systems there is no server that you need to set up, unless you want to. As such, there is no excuse not to use such a system.

You must be logged in to comment