small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
19 Aug 2008, 18:34
Carole Maninger (2 posts)

Hi All,

I was wondering what the best database is for deployment… MySQL or SQLite3 ??? The book starts with SQLite3 although it discusses MySQL. The chapter on Deployment doesn’t mention SQLite3 at all, just MySQL. Is MySQL the recommended and best DB to use for stable commercial production environments? I LIKE MySQL and have been using it with PHP for 8 years now… But I’m starting to like SQLite3 too :o) … Has the Deployment chapter not yet been revised, or is MySQL just definitely the best way to go? I am starting a HUGE project with at least 50 tables and 1500 datafields and your advance publication of the PDF’s made the difference between doing this project in RoR or PHP, so THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH for making my life easier :o)

DC

Samr_small_pragsmall
19 Aug 2008, 19:01
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

There is an open debate as to whether SQLite3 is suitable for production. In the discussions I’ve seen, the issue isn’t so much capacity as concurrency.

By contrast, there is no question as to whether MySQL is suitable for production. (Proponents of other databases would argue that MySQL isn’t unique or even the best choice, and will disagree with each other as to which that choice might be, but most would agree that MySQL is a safe choice).

Here’s a quote from “InfoWorld”:http://weblog.infoworld.com/tcdaily/archives/2008/01/ruby_on_rails_g.html

“MySQL is still by far the preferred production database and will continue to be so. SQLite3 is just great for getting started (you don’t have to run a separate server) and for small applications,” Hansson said. “Rails makes it effortless to switch from SQLite3 to MySQL when you’re ready to go into big production.”</blockquote>

Generic-user-small
19 Aug 2008, 19:19
Carole Maninger (2 posts)

That answers my question. Thanks for the quick response Sam.

You must be logged in to comment