small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
08 Sep 2008, 12:29
Andrew Ballantine (2 posts)

Hi,

This is a great book. I thought the first edition was good, but this is even better.

I’m still working my way through the pdf, but thought you might like to know about some minor errors etc.

Page 77 1st line

depot> ruby script/generate scaffold product \ > title:string description:text image_url:string

should be in red after depot>

Page 80-81 ..-add-price-to-product.rb

When I got to this I made some sort of mistake and got an error. After correcting the mistake I still received an error because the price column had been generated.

Therefore my suggestion is that you make a bit more of a point about reverting the migration on page 78. At the moment it’s just a note (7). I think a short paragraph explaining that if the reader gets an error it might be a good idea to reverse the migration and explain how to just reverse the last migration rather than going back to version 0.

Samr_small_pragsmall
09 Sep 2008, 17:48
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

The first errata “has already been reported”:http://pragprog.com/titles/rails3/errata#e31817. I’m saving such cleanup for the final layout of the book. Meanwhile, you are welcome to report errata here on this forum, but you might find it easier and more convenient to use the errata link on the bottom of every page.

The suggestion to fold the footnote back into the text is a good one. I’m hesitant to go much beyond that – migration deserves its own chapter to do the topic any justice.

You must be logged in to comment