small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
12 Dec 2008, 06:50
David Kapp (8 posts)

I’m really enjoying this book so far - great stuff! There was one thing that I messed up on which took me a little while to find that I think might be worth mentioning, however. I renamed something that was assigned as an outlet in Interface Builder (or maybe it was an action? It’s been a little while) and I was getting unexpected behavior. It took me quite a bit of digging to figure out what had happened - and I overlooked the little exclamation point in IB that indicated something was amiss at first.

You might cover this later in the book, but do you think you could include a paragraph or two about how to tell when something is wrong in IB? Since the project will still compile and run, apparently without warnings, I’ve found it somewhat hard to diagnose problems there. Any tips you might have would be appreciated - and I’m sure other people have done things like this. At least, I hope they have. ;)

Daniel_pragsmall
12 Dec 2008, 13:25
Daniel H Steinberg (98 posts)

Thanks David,

I’ve tried to call out where things can go wrong in Xcode (like where you are passing in method names or nib file names as strings so there can’t be type checking) but you’re right it would be good to add a comment or two on finding things that are wrong in IB.

Can you let me know where this came up for you and I’ll look at whether to include a note there or later in the book.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Generic-user-small
14 Dec 2008, 08:27
David Kapp (8 posts)

No problem, glad to help!

I think this happened to me near the end of chapter 4 or early in chapter 5. I was messing around with adding multiple text boxes to the browser app to see how that would work, and I think that’s when I messed up the connections. It wasn’t when I was doing something per your instructions - it was when I was playing around with things on my own. That said, it think this would be an easy to overlook innocent mistake. :)

Daniel_pragsmall
15 Dec 2008, 03:51
Daniel H Steinberg (98 posts)

Thanks – I’ll add something in the next beta. I have one chapter done and am working on a second to add.

D

You must be logged in to comment