small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
22 Dec 2008, 08:52
Alexandre Rousseau (6 posts)

Bluntly put, judging from this title’s current price (22$ pdf), and its table of contents (99 pages covered in a spartan 6 chapters), I don’t think this is worth the price and I will abstain, for now.

But, something that goes deeper than the current iteration, but not as far as Aaron Hillegass’ title is much needed and I sincerely hope that the author can follow through on this first - and well written, judging from the chapter extracts - effort.

I can’t wait. :)

Cheers Alexandre Rousseau == www.ninermedia.com

N702659_31103281_193_pragsmall
22 Dec 2008, 08:56
Victor Marius Costan (5 posts)

$22 is less than half an hour of my time. Having all the basics put together in one place is worth that much money to me.

That aside, the book is announced to have 290 pages, so rest assured that more is to come. I would love to see a good in-depth coverage of the basics, and light introductions to Core Data, Core Animation, and software development on the iPhone (with the bulk left to the books dedicated to these topics of course).

Thanks for the book, I like what I see so far! I just wish to see a bit more substance, asides from the tutorials.

Generic-user-small
22 Dec 2008, 10:28

Except that I prefer not to waste a single minute on a trail that only gets me this far (95 pages). But at 290 pages (where did you see this announcement?), and judging from the author’s style, I’m definitely in provided that no similar title comes out sooner.

iPhone… Personally, though, I’d prefer to leave iPhone programming out of it, or perhaps with a redirect to Pragmatic’s iPhone SDK Development. I’ve got 3 titles on hand and I am more than happy with them (Pragmatic’s iPhone SDK Development; Developer Library’s iPhone Developer’s Cookbook; apress’s Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK).

Alex

Daniel_pragsmall
22 Dec 2008, 22:34
Daniel H Steinberg (98 posts)

We need to update the Table of Contents on the website – the book is currently 171 pages and ten chapters long and I have one more chapter done and another one close to being released. The book is actually much more comprehensive and longer than I originally envisioned it. I am leaving iPhone out of it but think that it is also a very good source for some of the Cocoa ideas (delegates for example) that most of the books on iPhone necessarily leave out.

Generic-user-small
23 Dec 2008, 00:31

Great. Thanks, Daniel. Order on the way (and topic summary updated). Alex

Daniel_pragsmall
23 Dec 2008, 13:04

Thanks Alexandre,

Please feel free to let me know if there are key topics that you think I’m not addressing.

Best,

Daniel

Generic-user-small
23 Dec 2008, 13:58

Daniel, you write well and I feel like I am cruising at high speeds on smooth straight asphalt. Already at chapter 4 and going.

If one could vote on such things, I would cast mine for coverage of something that I don’t look forward to tackling, so spartan is Apple’s documentation on the subject, yet that I will need, soon: NSCollectionViews.

Mine is but one voice however. Not sure this would be of help to your target readership. I’ll cross my fingers.

Cheers and thanks Alex

Daniel_pragsmall
08 Jan 2009, 13:03

We have updated the TOC on the front page. As for what’s left … I’m planning on taking you through KVC/KVO, bindings, NSArray Controller, and Core Data and then wrapping things up. My goal is to show you the various techniques in Cocoa programming. I think at the end of the book you should be able to mine the docs for what you need (although that isn’t always as clear as you might think).

You must be logged in to comment