small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
26 Jul 2009, 18:56
Brad Hutchins (142 posts)

Just a thought… but have you considered going through the examples in the book and seeing if the are Cappuccino compliant? That is using Cappuccino tool “nib2cib” to see if each of your final “Interface Builder” example applications work being converted to Cappuccino (current 0.7.1).
Yes its still beta, but many of the rough edges have really had some smoothing out. If you could have a nib2cib tutorial chapter in your book, and making a note at each example that will work using nib2cib. This would increase the sale value of the book, that is because it being also a rough intro to Cappuccino.
With of course a side note that Objective-J and Cappuccino is still evolving and the Cocoa apps that did not work with nib2cib at the time of righting the book may work in the future (which can of course be updated in the PDF), as well as some certain application that did work at one time, may not in newer versions of Cappuccino, since it is pretty beta and have the luxury of doing radical changes if they see the need.
But you can declare you used Cappuccino 0.7.2 (assuming that will be out by the time of the printing) and that those examples in your book marked with a cup of coffee or what not, did work for you using the “nib2cib” tool. that and like I said an intro chapter to “Objective-j and Cappuccino and nib2cib” may do well in selling your book and promoting a great framework.

Generic-user-small
27 Jul 2009, 17:13
Brad Hutchins (142 posts)

ADDENDUM:

Better idea… You leave the Cappuccino chapter to be one of the last ones in the book, since the book is mainly about Cocoa and simply list off the examples and pages that can use the nib2cib tool (you might be able to request help from Brian Marick since he is heavily involved in Obj-J & Capp). Listing out what version of Cappuccino you used for both Leopard (10.5.6) and Snow Leopard (10.5.6), since it may be some time before people jump on SL. Personally I wait till the 10.x.”2” version is out before I upgrade (allowing time for most of the big bugs to be squashed).

You must be logged in to comment