small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
24 Nov 2009, 17:25
Andrew Greaney (4 posts)

Can someone explain in plain English, what exactly are we try trying to achieve in chapter 4 - Classes and Objects?

There’s a lot of “do this, do that” and “change this” - but what’s the purpose behind it all?

Daniel_pragsmall
24 Nov 2009, 21:50
Daniel H Steinberg (98 posts)

I’ll ignore the tone of your question and try to answer it. I too dislike a “do this” “do that” book that lacks motivation. I think you’ll find direction and motivation throughout.

I thought I was taking you on a journey through using classes and objects. After we set up a basic application we first use an existing class - a class that Apple has created for you. As I write “Our goal in this first section is to gain experience in instantiating, configuring, and using a class that we didn’t write. Then we’ll be ready to create and use our own class.”

In section 4.4 you create a class of your own. You send it class methods in section 4.5. Of course, usually you’ll want to create instances of these classes so we do that in section 4.6.

The assumption in this book is that you are an experienced programmer who is new to Cocoa (Tim Isted’s book is for people new to programming). As such, I am mainly taking time to show you what is special about Obj-C and Cocoa.

D

Generic-user-small
24 Nov 2009, 22:40
Andrew Greaney (4 posts)

tone? WHAT TONE? ;-)

I seem to be getting really good at offending people with just a few words these days. Maybe it’s my age… It’s never easy to tell what people really mean when it’s written down.

Don’t get me wrong - I think the book is great! I was just just trying to be succinct.

bq. The assumption in this book is that you are an experienced programmer

Maybe that’s the problem - I’ve had many years experience with Visual Basic. Say no more.

Thanks for the explanation.

You must be logged in to comment