small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
17 Sep 2008, 16:42
Marcel Lanz (2 posts)

…. I had to learn that you can’t publish a book with iPhone related material. So why do you mention the iPhone in the description ? I bought the combo of the following book:

Core Animation for OS X and the iPhone: Creating Compelling Dynamic User Interfaces

and what I’ve got was nothing about the iPhone. And now I’ll only find out reading this:

“you can take advantage of Cocoa and create compelling, feature rich, compliant Mac applications for this industry-leading environment.”

That the book will cover something with I can develop “Mac” applications, hence OS X Applications and no iPhone applications. Why are you so vague about the description ?

Sorry for that, your books usually are great, but this …. me a bit.

Generic-user-small
17 Sep 2008, 17:52
Geoffrey Garside (2 posts)

Well they might be hoping to include some iPhone Cocoa related chapters if and when Apple take the SDK out from under the NDA dust cover.

Daniel_pragsmall
19 Sep 2008, 16:14
Daniel H Steinberg (98 posts)

Well the reasons are actually different in the two books – and we really did not mean to mislead you. Let me start with this book.

The ideas for programming for your Mac and for the iPhone are mostly the same. If you are coming from a different platform/language than Cocoa/ObjC then the transition to programming the mac takes you most of the way to the iphone. There are some differences, of course. Some we can’t explicitly talk about. We can not take you through the APIs for the iPhone. Others we can talk about. For example, since automatic garbage collection is not supported on the iPhone we are careful to talk about referencing counting so that you can write iPhone apps as well.

So the reason I mention the iPhone is that I don’t want you to think that you are getting a book that tells you how to program the iPhone but we do cover many of the topics that will help you along.

For Core Animation the issue is a bit different. Bill Dudney was essentially done with his book in February and we could have had the book printed in time for WWDC. But Core Animation, although it is supported and works great on the Mac, was invented for the iPhone so we added an iPhone chapter to the book and retitled the book and were prepared to ship the book the day the iPhone NDA dropped. We assumed it would drop at WWDC, then when the iPhone store went live, then when iPhone 2.0 dropped, then maybe in September when push was added.

Arrrggghhhhh. It didn’t get dropped. So we are now puzzling with what to do about Bill’s book to be fair to people who have bought it already as well as being fair to Bill. If Apple doesn’t drop the NDA before we go to press with it we will certainly make the additional chapter available to anyone who has bought the book as a downloadable pdf. If the NDA never drops …

And, of course, we also have an iPhone SDK book that Bill co-wrote with Chris Adamson and Marcel Molina. We can’t publish that one either. It’s a very frustrating time to be sitting on so much great iPhone content and we really weren’t trying to mislead you. We’ve made guesses based on what we assumed Apple would “obviously” do.

I apologize if we’ve disappointed you with our (really my) miscalculations.

Photo_60_pragsmall
24 Sep 2008, 21:10
Robert McGovern (2 posts)

Just to say Daniel its not really your miscalculation, I don’t think anyone really foresaw that Apple would screw around like this with the NDA.

I hadn’t really realised that the book was finished that early though, hopefully the delayed release won’t harm PragProg or Bill and will still sell well.

Daniel_pragsmall
02 Oct 2008, 13:14
Daniel H Steinberg (98 posts)

Whooo hoooo – the iPhone book is out http://pragprog.com/titles/amiphd

35-m-550_pragsmall
03 Oct 2008, 15:46
Joseph Crawford (19 posts)

Glad to see the NDA lifted, just wish I had an iPhone now :)

You must be logged in to comment