small medium large xlarge

35-m-550_pragsmall
19 Sep 2008, 17:07
Joseph Crawford (19 posts)

Does the system alert us that we need to regenerate the PDF’s by the rss feed or some other method?

Joefish-mini_pragsmall
19 Sep 2008, 22:06
Joseph Grace (10 posts)

I usually (always?) get an email alert. Click a link in the email to set gerbils in motion. Another email pronounces gerbil production run completion. Then go pick up the new edition PDF from your online bookshelf.

FYI, I’ve noticed there’s also a mention on your bookshelf (or thereabouts) if any of your PDF(s) are out of date (and a button to activate gerbils).

Daniel_pragsmall
19 Sep 2008, 23:06
Daniel H Steinberg (98 posts)

If you create an account you will find that there is an RSS feed for your account that you can subscribe to and get notices of updates that way as well.

35-m-550_pragsmall
22 Sep 2008, 21:26

Thanks guys, how often have the updates been coming? Just curious because I have already almost read all that is there.

Daniel_pragsmall
23 Sep 2008, 11:57

Joseph, that was our first release to beta. My goal is to have a chapter or two to you every two weeks. Up next is collections – working with dictionaries, arrays, and sets.

35-m-550_pragsmall
29 Sep 2008, 14:11

Daniel,

Thanks for the update I will keep my eyes peeled. I love how you are taking the approach you are for this book.

Johnjoyce_halo_pragsmall
18 Oct 2008, 20:07
John Joyce (9 posts)

So far, the book is pretty nice! Right up there with most of the PragProg books! It’s great to finally have a different voice on Cocoa besides the old standards. Let’s hope this is followed up by more Cocoa books that delve into more discreet aspects of Cocoa.

Ian_smaller_pragsmall
25 Nov 2008, 12:30
Ian Thain (37 posts)

Daniel

I know you guys have been busy, but when will the next update be posted?

Thanks

Ian

Daniel_pragsmall
27 Nov 2008, 01:20

Sorry Ian –

We were going to post a new beta today but worried that it was too close to Thanksgiving. Look for an update next Monday or Tuesday.

I spent much of the last month co-teaching the Cocoa Studio and iPhone Studio with Bill Dudney. This helped a lot as I got immediate feedback of what people needed more of. Also I’ve addressed all of the errata for the book.

So sorry it took so long but I ended up splitting the Delegates and Notification chapter and reorganizing the Custom Views and Dictionary chapters and rewriting a lot of the code.

D

Daniel_pragsmall
05 Dec 2008, 13:49

Well in addition to the rewrites, I’ve added a chapter on using Multiple Nibs. I see a lot of questions on the lists about File’s Owner. I hope I’ve helped explain that concept with this new material. I also talk a bit about the application delegate and view controllers. At the end of the chapter you have a simple example that is able to swap out its view and resize the window to surround the view it contains.

Enjoy. Up next is Table Views. It should be ready in about a week. I’m going back and forth on whether to include one more chapter after Table Views before heading to KVO/KVC, bindings, and Core Data.

35-m-550_pragsmall
07 Jan 2009, 13:07

Daniel,

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical about buying beta books but you and the guys at pragprog have been on top of things. The content is great and the releases are not months and months apart. I look forward to reading the final version of your book and any other titles that you release.

You must be logged in to comment