small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Core Data
Generic-user-small
29 Nov 2008, 22:51
Brad Gibbs (7 posts)

I understand that Core Data, as initially released, was not intended to be a multi-user framework, even though it has roots with EOF. Is this changing? With Marcus’ chapter on Sync Services and the Truth, can Core Data be used reliably by 2-3 people? Does anyone care to speculate on whether Apple will expand Core Data to be useful in a multi-user environment in Snow Leopard?

I’d like to be able to use Core Data to write a couple of apps for my small business to track products we sell, inventory, POs, shipping charges and to quickly create estimates. Only a few people would need to be using the app simultaneously.

Thanks.

Brad

01 Dec 2008, 15:02
Marcus S. Zarra (284 posts)

I have not seen any mention of Core Data going multi-user just yet. While that does not mean it will not happen at some time in the future it is unlikely to be in Snow Leopard.

For the situation you are describing there are a few ways to solve it. You could not use Core Data which I agree is painful or you can develop your own distribution layer to share the data between the systems to keep them in sync. Depending on your operating requirements, an external database might be the best solution.

Generic-user-small
03 Dec 2008, 23:26
Jason Cox (1 post)

Hey Marcus,

I just bought the book and from what I’ve seen, I like it and cant wait for it to be finished.

Wouldn’t it be possible to utilize Core Data on a server application, using Distributed Objects, to make core data a multi-user application??

Thanks so much,

Jason

11 Dec 2008, 04:54
Marcus S. Zarra (284 posts)

Jason,

I am pleased you are enjoying the book so far.

Yes, you could utilize Core Data in that fashion. Although I would question whether the additional coding required would be worth it compared to a traditional client server design with a heavier database on the back end.

Mk-hoch-lachen-klein_pragsmall
31 Mar 2009, 13:06
Markus Kirschner (1 post)

Hi, you should have a look at the project BaseTen (http://basetenframework.org/) which is a Core Data inspired open source framework using PostgreSQL as the persistency database.

Looks rather promising…

Cheers, Markus

You must be logged in to comment