small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Core Data
Generic-user-small
07 Jan 2009, 12:39
Peter Van Schellebeck (1 post)

Just wondering why Chapter 10, Core Data and the iPhone is marked as coming soon. I was under the impression that this framework will not be available for the iPhone - well its not in the latest SDK? Marcus is there something else I should be aware of?

Thanks

BTW love the book so far, looking forward to more updates.

Generic-user-small
11 Jan 2009, 17:28
Adam Venturella (4 posts)

My guess is that right now 2.2, we know does not have Core Data. Honestly though, I don’t think it’s that far fetched to believe Apple will port it. Look at what is available now re: XML parsing or SQLite. The pieces are there, for the most part, to handle it, it’s just missing the tidy bow to wrap its implementation.

I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that we will see Core Data on the iPhone, maybe firmware 3.0. OS X didn’t even have Core Data until Tiger. And Bindings didn’t exist until 10.3.

13 Jan 2009, 21:51
Marcus S. Zarra (284 posts)

You are both correct in that we do not have a Core Data API yet. However the chapter (which will be showing up in the next couple of days) does illustrate a few ways to take advantage of Core Data in certain situations. Stay Tuned!

Generic-user-small
18 Mar 2009, 08:16
Jericho Hasselbush (3 posts)

I thought I would update this topic with today’s news of iPhone OS 3.0 and the Core Data API. Will there be an addendum to your book, Marcus?

Generic-user-small
19 Mar 2009, 08:55
Knut E. Vonheim (10 posts)

Hi Marcus!

I look forward to the complete book! As for the new iPhone Core Data APIs, I’d suggest a later version of the book.

If the current one completes as good as I think/hope, I’ll buy the next one too.

Cheers, Knut

19 Mar 2009, 02:54
Marcus S. Zarra (284 posts)

Yes, we are pulling back the iPhone chapter for an update based on the 3.0 news. Exciting times :)

You must be logged in to comment